Paddywhompus

Inside-Out Pouch On 7/8Oz.

This is my first project with leather, I've made a few things before, just a belt and suspenders for work, and now I'm working on the pouches and I'm having trouble turning them inside out. I've heard of wetting them but I'm reluctant to do this. I feel like it could be bad for the long-term wear of the leather, I may be wrong. I've also beeswaxed it and oiled it with pure neatsfoot, about 5-6 coats of oil and 1 of wax.

In spite of this, it's not supple enough and the edges still feel stiff. I've watched videos on a company that makes them and it looked pretty easy when he did it, but I'm unsure of how oiled it was, because trying the same method, it just doesn't work out at all, and I don't want to crack or cause ripples in this leather too. I've tried before on a pouch but the measurements were wrong and it didn't come out as I wanted, and in my attempt to turn it inside out, it's now supple enough but it's also got ripples all over it.

I want it to be 7/8oz because it's what most leather tool pouches are made from in thickness, and it needs to be pretty resistant to cuts and hard abrasive areas. It's going to be dealing with extreme heat and cold, rain, including caulking and other chemicals. So I want the leather to stand up to that sort of punishment. However for my screw pouches I want to use something a little thinner, maybe 4/5oz or a little thinner depending.

If there's anymore questions I can try and answer, ask away. Surely there's a simpler way that doesn't require so much time and effort.

Edited by Paddywhompus

If you are going to use 7/8 oz you're going to have to sew it right side out. That heavy of leather isn't intended to be flipped. Also if you posted a picture maybe some one else could come up with another suggestion. BTW water doesn't hurt leather although you want your completed project to have a finish on it like resolene to help protect it from the elements. Cheryl