Peterk

leather paddle for holster

Has anyone made paddles out of leather for holsters? I've seen Kydex ones but am thinking of making a leather one out of double thickness 8-9oz leather or heavier for ease of putting on and taking off on hiking trips or other activities that will benefit from quick mounting of holsters. Thinking of a two-point attachment between the top of the holster and top of paddle with "something"... Don't know if I want a permanent option and what I have to do to make that attachment rigid... Any ideas, recommendations? Thanks.

I make my paddles from 24 gauge galvanized sheet metal, readily available at heating and air conditioning shops. Cuts easily with hand shears (then I dress the edges on the belt sander). I place the paddle between two thicknesses of 4-5 oz. leather and sew up the paddle. You will find with paddle-style holsters that the holster itself requires some additional reinforcement. I do this by sewing a piece of the sheet metal into the back side of the holster also, lining it in with the 4-5 oz. leather. Without the reinforcement the back side of the holster quickly wears to a point that it sags and droops. Connecting the paddle to the back of the holster can be done with rivets or Chicago screws, simply drill holes through the two reinforced pieces and then fasten them together. Try leaving the rough side out on your paddles, this will add friction against the clothing and hold the holster in position much better than a smooth paddle.

]

You can also make your paddle with the holster reinforcment metal extended into the body of the holster, sew it in place, then bend the metal of the paddle over a mandrel to final shape. This is how I prefer to do them now. See photos for a recently completed piece.

Lobo Gun Leather, serious equipment for serious business.

P1010040.JPG

P1010041.JPG

P1010045.JPG

P1010046.JPG

post-7487-1227733353_thumb.jpg

post-7487-1227733361_thumb.jpg

post-7487-1227733379_thumb.jpg

post-7487-1227733387_thumb.jpg