thekid77

Buckle Chaps For Spur Straps Right Vs Wrong...

Hey friends, I just completed a pair of basic spur straps and noticed that I may have folded the buckle chape wrong just before riveting the buckle in.....

I hadn't noticed that the instructions call for the chape to be folded so flesh side faces up out.....i folded it so that flesh-flesh is touching.....

Does it make a difference? I'm making another pair and wondering...

I understand what you're saying and while many do make them with the buckle section being turned flesh side out - IMO this is mainly to prevent rub against the foot if turned opposite. On the other hand I make them with that section skived well so there is no extra bulk against the foot as would happen if that section wasn't skived. The method I use works well based on personal experience - been wearing spurs when needed since the 1960's and

FWIW - I've seen plenty of period (1870-1920's) spur straps done both ways...so IMO no real right or wrong...

I understand what you're saying and while many do make them with the buckle section being turned flesh side out - IMO this is mainly to prevent rub against the foot if turned opposite. On the other hand I make them with that section skived well so there is no extra bulk against the foot as would happen if that section wasn't skived. The method I use works well based on personal experience - been wearing spurs when needed since the 1960's and

FWIW - I've seen plenty of period (1870-1920's) spur straps done both ways...so IMO no real right or wrong...

Thanks Chuck!!

a couple more questions....when you skive the buckle end, do you skive just the very end, or do you skive both areas that have the rivet hole?

and how much leather do you take off? 1/3 the total thickness?

Thank you so much!!

Only the end - from that end of the center slot to the end. Thickness - I feather the end usually and then glue before riveting, making sure there is enough leather left around the rivet's head so it won't tear through (I use #14 copper rivets)

Hope that helps

Only the end - from that end of the center slot to the end. Thickness - I feather the end usually and then glue before riveting, making sure there is enough leather left around the rivet's head so it won't tear through (I use #14 copper rivets)

Hope that helps

Chuck---Thank you so much for your advice, I'm grateful that there's people like you who are willing to share with beginners like me :)