kkikoss

Write On Leather Strap

I've actually done spirit dyes in a refillable fountain pen. Or my preferred tool--a glass pen made for dipping into ink. I just dip that into the spirit dye. But I'm not usually trying to write words. Mostly I am using it for coloring fine details that are tricky with a brush. The biggest issue is that the dye likes to spread in the absorbant leather, a bit like writing with liquid ink on cheap paper that "draws" too much ink. However a lot of that can be combatted by simply oiling the leather first. But I wouldn't try on reverse of leather. But your bands are probably sewn double anyway.

The glass pen I'd gotten many years ago from a glassblower's shop in a small town in New Hope, PA. I don't know where one would get them. I'd actually love to get another one, but now I am in the wrong country also. It would take practice from the glassworker to get the twist right on the nib so it delivers ink slowly and evenly. And you need to practice writing with this style pen, as you need to work out how to dip it to prevent blotching and how much to knock off the tip.

With the refillable fountain pen, I used a syringe to fill an empty ink cartridge with dye. They CANNOT be left with dye in the cartridge for a few days, because the spirits evaporate too quickly. So remove of empty the cartridge and clean the nib with alcohol.

Have no experience with oil dyes, but if they flow right, something like the glass pen would probably work well. I also use the glass pen in watered down acrylic paints.

If you're looking for other refillable pen options you may want to look at a rapidograph style pen. They're used for illustration and drafting quite a bit, and have a removable chamber that you can fill/mix inks in for whatever purpose you have. They're expensive, and require some practice to work right (the pen has to be held vertical) but they make a nice clean consistent line and allow for custom ink use. I *don't* think they would work very well on the back side of leather, but would probably draw fine on the smooth face

Hello!!!! Thank you for your time. Do you know something like this? ---> Rotring:

If you can please tell me exactly the brandname from your pen that you use.

I've actually done spirit dyes in a refillable fountain pen. Or my preferred tool--a glass pen made for dipping into ink. I just dip that into the spirit dye. But I'm not usually trying to write words. Mostly I am using it for coloring fine details that are tricky with a brush. The biggest issue is that the dye likes to spread in the absorbant leather, a bit like writing with liquid ink on cheap paper that "draws" too much ink. However a lot of that can be combatted by simply oiling the leather first. But I wouldn't try on reverse of leather. But your bands are probably sewn double anyway.

The glass pen I'd gotten many years ago from a glassblower's shop in a small town in New Hope, PA. I don't know where one would get them. I'd actually love to get another one, but now I am in the wrong country also. It would take practice from the glassworker to get the twist right on the nib so it delivers ink slowly and evenly. And you need to practice writing with this style pen, as you need to work out how to dip it to prevent blotching and how much to knock off the tip.

With the refillable fountain pen, I used a syringe to fill an empty ink cartridge with dye. They CANNOT be left with dye in the cartridge for a few days, because the spirits evaporate too quickly. So remove of empty the cartridge and clean the nib with alcohol.

Have no experience with oil dyes, but if they flow right, something like the glass pen would probably work well. I also use the glass pen in watered down acrylic paints.

Hello ,. thank you very much!!!

You know something like this --? glass pen:

There are many good options out there. Maybe take a look here for the Uni-ball review. I've used them for years, but not specifically for writing on leather: http://www.moleskinerie.com/2006/06/pen_review_unib.html.

Thanks for your answer!

Yes it is very good pen but is it good for leather?

Yes, the glass pen resembles what you have shown there.

Koh-I-Noor is one of the best that still manufactures technical pens like this. They aren't cheap though. They come in sets or as individual pens based on nib size, but an single pen could run $25. I would recommend finding an art supply shop that has them in stock, bring in a scrap of leather, tell them what you'd like to use it for and ask if you can have a demo just to see how they flow and if it would function well for your needs

If you want to use ink then you want fade-resistant, chemical-resistant (e.g. Bleach, hand soap, etc.), non-smearing, archival quality. I have written on leather with those inks over the last few years and, once dried, never had any issues. I mention the Uni-ball 207 because they are very available, cheap, and have several colors.

Yes, the glass pen resembles what you have shown there.

Thank you very much!!!

Koh-I-Noor is one of the best that still manufactures technical pens like this. They aren't cheap though. They come in sets or as individual pens based on nib size, but an single pen could run $25. I would recommend finding an art supply shop that has them in stock, bring in a scrap of leather, tell them what you'd like to use it for and ask if you can have a demo just to see how they flow and if it would function well for your needs

Ok mate , thank you so much for your informations and your help..

If you want to use ink then you want fade-resistant, chemical-resistant (e.g. Bleach, hand soap, etc.), non-smearing, archival quality. I have written on leather with those inks over the last few years and, once dried, never had any issues. I mention the Uni-ball 207 because they are very available, cheap, and have several colors.

ok John , i will try and with uniball 207. Thank you man.

Edited by kkikoss