Thanks Bree, yeah that chisel idea is great, and with my homedepot gift cards I don't even have to spend money. :)

I think I will still get an oblong punch though simply to get a clean, one-stop process to cut the slots. I will reserve the drill/round punch plus chisel option for extra thick belts that the oblong-cut slots won't accommodate.

I was thinking about the times when you need an oblong slot of some odd size that you will probably never ever will need again. It is so much easier and cheaper to just punch and chisel it than ordering a new oblong, waiting for it to be delivered, honing it up, and punching one or two holes.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

The chisel is soooo sharp, you can lightly 'walk' it across the length of the slot and then almost push it through with needing to tap it home. And, chisels are relatively cheap. :)

The chisel is soooo sharp, you can lightly 'walk' it across the length of the slot and then almost push it through with needing to tap it home. And, chisels are relatively cheap. :)
I think I have read somewhere that Osborne oblong punches don't come sharpened... Is this true? They seem to be a cut above in terms of quality than the Midas or Tandy-sold punches, but if they don't come sharpened that is another chore to deal with... Besides, how do you sharpen them? Stropping?
I was thinking about the times when you need an oblong slot of some odd size that you will probably never ever will need again. It is so much easier and cheaper to just punch and chisel it than ordering a new oblong, waiting for it to be delivered, honing it up, and punching one or two holes. :red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

True, true!

Edited by Peterk

Got a set of various sized wood chisels from Home Depot last night to give it a try. It worked great! I had to make allowences to match the cut the chisel makes with the initial holes I punched (The cut is a bit wider than expected), but all in all the cut was fast and clean. I was cutting a 1.5" slot but I couldn't find a chisel in that width, so I had to do a couple of cuts then clean with knife.

Anyway, thanks for the chisel tip! Now if someone could tell me how to bevel the edges of the slots to make them asthetically pleasing that would be great! :) I can't fit the edger in there.

Peter

Anyway, thanks for the chisel tip! Now if someone could tell me how to bevel the edges of the slots to make them asthetically pleasing that would be great! :) I can't fit the edger in there.

Peter

I'm using the tip of my burnisher (piece of white tail antler). Hold it at a 45 degree angle and go to town.

Dan

I'm using the tip of my burnisher (piece of white tail antler). Hold it at a 45 degree angle and go to town.

Dan

Will have to see if one of my old college professors who owns and operates an Elk farm can score me a small piece of antler... :D

When I grow up I wanna make holsters like that!!!!! Great Job!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!

PeterK - awesome job - those holsters look really nice. The only critique I have is the square corners on the 1911 holster and the snaps on the Makarov. It is of my opinion that you will find that the square corners will catch when you don't want them too and will bend and fold and after time look rather ragged, so I would round them if it were me. Just my .02 Other than that they look really good.

If I read your post correctly, you are applying neatsfoot oil AFTER the dye? I havent tried rubbing anything with oil yet but I'd like to give it a shot and want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks!