Yetibelle

Picture Example Of Needle And Stitch Size

Hi, I have been looking for a "picture chart" that incudes the actual needle (size) and the thread (size) represented in a stitched row. So take a scrap of leather and sew a row of #92, next to the other size thread #138, then place the needle next to the each row. This way you can see both the needle and the row that it stitched. Like a Size 7x4 next to the row #415 thread. Does that make sense. I can only sew up to 135x16-(24) #207. So I was looking for someone who has the larger machines. So we can get a chart that has all of them for leather sewing in one reference. I am not sure what the largest combinations are, however I think it goes:

#92 #138 #207 #207 #277 #346 #415 #554 #624 #690

Let me know if that makes sense.

Thanks

FYI: None of the modern compound feed walking foot 441 or 205 type machines can sew with any thread larger than #415. Few dealers even stock #415 thread.

If you actually want to machine sew these extra heavy threads, which are hard to find, you will need to get either a needle and awl harness stitcher (e.g. Campbell Randall), or a humongous needle and awl shoe sole stitcher (e.g. Landis G). These machines do accommodate large diameter thread sizes up to 10 cord linen)

Could you take one of your machines (441, 201, 144, Class 7, Landis 1, 97-10) and a scrap piece of leather and sew a few rows of each size and then place the needle next to each row and take a picture of that. This would be a great reference of what the larger machines are capable of, and what thread and needle combinations are possible. I assume that the 7X4 27 needle is the largest, but maybe someone on the forum has something bigger they can share? Thanks

Yetibelle

How about showing us what you have so far.

There is also some experimentation involved as the needle/thread size charts are generally for high speed sewing.

Depending on thread type, speed, needle quality and experience it is sometimes possible to go one needle size down.

Not always and it can even be inconsistent through one piece of leather.

Just something else to confuse you with