Sign in to follow this  
glockanator

Swivel Tip

Screenshot_2015-09-08-08-25-50_zps1rkzyw

Just curious what this does? Is it suppose to be a swivel knife of sorts?

This is, indeed, a swivel knife. It's meant to be used as a drag style knife where the cutter follows the direction of the movement of your hand. The (now dead?) TangleBoss was a much nicer knife based on the same concept.

I was working on a project that was meant to make replacement blades for these. It was put on the back burner and should probably be finished up and crossed off my list. I was even entertaining the idea of making an adapter to fit them in a stock swivel knife and sharpening jig.

A forum member, by the name of supershute had a post with pictures of a brand new one, the box, and instruction sheet, if you want to take a peek at it.

I have heard that some people really liked using these things.

I used one a few years ago when I had dislocated my thumb in the middle of "awards season". It saved my bacon then. They do OK. They don't cut as deep as a blade. They take a little learning. It is kind of like pulling a trailer - you have to slightly exaggerate the turn on the front end to keep the back end from cheating in. I was pretty happy to get out of the braces and splints and back to swivel knife when it was all said and done.

Thanks. I was going to pick this up for around 20 bucks or so but I think I will pass for now. Thanks for the information on it.