jwwright

Latest BW Roper Saddle

1308_4.jpg1308_6.jpg1308_7.jpg

This saddle I built on a BW Roper tree, and is what some of my customers have come to call a ranch versatility saddle. This particular saddle was built for a gal who does it all.......cuts, reins, cowhorse, ropes and competes in ranch horse versatility competitons quite a bit. Constructive critique, as well as the ataboys, is always welcome. JW

post-5250-1228259161_thumb.jpg

post-5250-1228259182_thumb.jpg

post-5250-1228259198_thumb.jpg

Form, function and beauty....what more can a girl ask for. Nice work JW.

That really looks great JW.

Art

Looks good to me JW. Hey how much lace did it take to do those swells?

Justin

Excellent work! Nice, clean lines. Is that a Timberline BW? Which horn is it?

Justin, Thank You. There is about 5 feet of 1/4" roo lace on each fork cover seam.

GoToTex, Thank You as well. The tree is by Ray Lewis, and the horn is a #7, set fairly straight up, 3 1/4" tall.

JW

Justin, Thank You. There is about 5 feet of 1/4" roo lace on each fork cover seam.

GoToTex, Thank You as well. The tree is by Ray Lewis, and the horn is a #7, set fairly straight up, 3 1/4" tall.

JW

I figure to use about 5" per hole of lace on a braid like that.

its as light as it looks, it would make a good colt saddle as well. Can I ask how much it weighs? I really like the rigging on this saddle as well. Really nice saddle!

Ashley, Thank You.

Tex.........I think your rule of thumb is pretty close for me as well concerning the length of lace. The way that I do it, the holes are pretty close together, and I think usually on a swell cover like this one, I end up with about 18 holes on each side.

Dually, Thank You......I did not weigh this saddle, as the customer picked it up from my shop, rather than having to ship it. However, most of them similar I have made weigh in at about 35 pounds ready to ride.

JW

JW,

Have enjoyed looking at your work and watching your progress. Hope to get there myself one day.

Couple questions if you don't mind... your swell lacing looks good- what have you used to learn the braiding? I have some Bruce Grant books and some others but haven't mastered it yet. Also, the horn wrap- is it dyed mulehide? I like the color.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Jason

Thanks Jayson.

Dennis Overton, at Seymour Texas, has been very generous to me in sharing things he has learned in his 50 years building saddles, bits and spurs. He showed me how to do that braid. If you should happen to get up this way, I would be happy to show you as well. The horn wrap on this saddle is made from some heavy chrome tanned chap leather, similar to the apron split/mule hide material. I have some elk that is about this same color I am using also. JW

Edited by jwwright