gmace99

Video Tips On Bevelling Edges

This is a video showing two tips on bevelling/edge stripping leather edges.

The first tip shows how I hold the leather.

The second tip is at the end of the video showing how I bevel the opposite side without turning the strap around.

I have other tips on my You Tube channel.

Subscribe to my channel. I aim to do more videos and I will be posting them on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC3monmqKw0

Thank you for this!

Although I probably will still get an ugly result as I am still starting out, this will definitely help. I can't for the life of me take off an even amount all along a belt. It gets worse at the point of the belt. Decided to order a keen edge beveller to check if it will make a slight difference.

1 hour ago, TFarage said:

Thank you for this!

Although I probably will still get an ugly result as I am still starting out, this will definitely help. I can't for the life of me take off an even amount all along a belt. It gets worse at the point of the belt. Decided to order a keen edge beveller to check if it will make a slight difference.

Sharpening it will help immensely. Just bevel a piece of scrap. Rub on some rouge or polishing paste. Then run your beveller backwards down it several times.

Awesome! Thank you for the tip, will do that ASAP, although I suspect it is mostly the way I am holding the edge beveller and inconsistent angle which I can't seem to keep consistent along the whole length of a belt. Practise, practise :)

To be totally honest I haven't done a belt yet. But I have done several bracelets working up to a belt.

I teach people in my school that the edge strip will do the job for you if you hold it right and it is sharp.  I hold the edge strip as between my fore finger and thumb as loose as I can. This is to show when it is held at the right angle it will go forward on its own.  (Erm another idea for a video I think) 

This is a link to my video showing how I sharpen my Edge strip

Thank you very much for posting the videos!  

What is used for buffing on each side of the wood piece? One side is leather, and on the other side? (sorry, I didn't understand)

Edited by gigi

The buff stick is leather on one side and on the other it is leather with tallow fat then carborundum  powder

Thank you!

You mention a school, do you do apprenticeships/workshops or is it an actual school?

I am toying with the idea of combining a holiday with some leatherworking learning abroad (England or Scotland)

@TFarage yes it is a leather school. We do short courses.

My website is www.uksaddlery.com. The website only shows a part of what we do. I did my own website then got lazy adding other stuff.

My Facebook is Geo Dunoon  or my Facebook page is uksaddlery. 

I also have my uksaddlery you tube channel this has 56 videos at the moment 

Excellent! I shall take a look, thank you.

On 24/03/2017 at 8:51 PM, gmace99 said:

The buff stick is leather on one side and on the other it is leather with tallow fat then carborundum  powder

Hi,could you please share how you prepare the the tallow and carborundum  powder for the buff stick,do you mix them together first and then apply,or do you rub the tallow in first and then the carborundum  powder.Also what grit is the powder.I've got some 600 grit and some plumbers tallow and would like to make a buff stick....cheers.

@Tommo I spread the Tallow fat on then spread the powder on top of that. As to grit sorry I don't remember I bought lots of powder years ago.  If I can find a bit of wood I might do a video on that

5 minutes ago, gmace99 said:

@Tommo I spread the Tallow fat on then spread the powder on top of that. As to grit sorry I don't remember I bought lots of powder years ago.  If I can find a bit of wood I might do a video on that

Great...I'm subscribed to your videos so will look out for it....cheers.

If I don't get the chance I will get Kieran my nephew to do it and post his video on here with his others

I have a few courses coming up finding time is tight . As you can tell on my videos they are never rehearsed  If I get five minutes I just grab the cam and do a video of the first thing that comes to mind. 

Edited by gmace99