Question I hope someone might know the answer. I have a SW J frame and just got a order for a Ruger SP101 357 4.5 barrel. Can I use the smith as a mold? Thank you in advance.

Nope. Unless you're talking about a VERY loose fitting holster, then you might NOT wanna go with that. Some folks think a walmart bag is "close enough" if you put a strap on it, so ... looking fer pics.....

post-13153-0-13349900-1443134621_thumb.j

The two on the right are j-frames. The Ruger is a bit more than 3/16" "taller" frame to guard (red arrow) and the cylinder is a bit bigger (by about .040").

Edited by JLSleather

Love the Walmart comment

Oh, that sp101 doesn't come in a 4.5", but actually a 4.2" (if that matters in your design). What kind of holster are ya makin'? Taco, pancake, ankle... ?

What if I increase the pattern a tad to compensate for the difference and then get his gun to finish molding. He was adamant about not leaving the gun. Trying to do a work around. Thank you for replying.

The worst of all a shoulder holster.

The worst of all a shoulder holster

I hear ya

I hear ya

:rofl:

So, how 'form fitting' is it gonna be? Wunna 'em 'ere fold-overs, stitch line under? I'm assuming you'll have some type of strap on that one... vertical, or through the back?

I got a design I'm purdy shur works on the 4.2". Well, it wurks on the 2 and 3", just aint made the 4.2" yet, but should be good.

One is a 'vengerful' type, other more 'classic'. Here's the tight one...

post-13153-0-83826300-1443136792_thumb.j

Nice work. Can I purchase the pattern?

Do you have a shoulder pattern.. I know there are different styles. He wants under the arm no cant.. He's a bow shooter who wants a little extra in the event he gets surprised

Nah.. no shoulder holster design. I aint made nuna them since the 80's. Somebody just posted some the other day, though, so shouldn't be hard to find. Keep in mind that overall length on that Ruger is just over 9".. and you still need room above to draw it without gittin in the arm pit. I pretty much fergot about that 'til a buddy talked about a shoulder rig for a super redhawk. Ever seen ona them things? If I put that in a shoulder rig, the barrel be smakkin' me in the knee!

If he wants a vertical hang, then a slight mod to a standard belt loop likely do ya. Prolly some shoulder rig boys jump in here shortly.. maybe even git a pattern for a mag pouch. Oh, wait... that's another gun on another day :rofl:

Found my other sp101 pattern, kinda 'classic' styling. I made ona these recently.. but I got sidetracked by a few things. Cut it apart, and kaint 'member why! :blush:

Still, I think it's purdy close.. i'll see kin I still find the left overs ....

CRAP.. camera went dead (seems to happen a lot for somebody whose kids "never' borrow it). So, no pics. I DID find the holster tho, and now I remember .... I didn't like the length of the thumb break snap. It's for a 3" version.. I'll get a pic when the camera charges a bit.

Camera charged, but it's worse than I thought... the pattern I thought might not be 'quite' right.. is actually for the charter arms BULLDOG .44!! Oops...

Thank you for the help. Going to put masking tape around the gun to increase the size to do a partial mold. These shoulder holster are sure a pain. Fitting and more fitting.