Crazyjaw

Prepping A Shoulder For Cutting Straps?

I just picked up my first shoulder of leather (well, half shoulder), and i need to cut a strap from it. The only time ive ever done this was from a hide that already had a nice, straight edge prepared and all i had to do was make sure i didnt mess up with my strap cutter.

I was wondering if there was some theory or technique to straighten out the edges of the hide, beyond just going at it with a ruler and a razor blade?

I do the same with a 7 foot AL ruler. I clamp the ruler over the leather, to the table so it doesnt slip as I cut.

Ordered, thanks for the tip!

Another thing, this hide i got has a lot of long thin dark streaks (almost like zebra strips) and blemishes, which the last hide i used didn't really have (my instructor commented that we had an unusually beautiful shoulder). Is there a way to deal with these? I plan on dying my strips but i am afraid that they will still be noticeable.

Go to your local ACE hardware store and, if not in stock they can order a 6' or 8' aluminum ruler.

I use a 8' an it works great

Another thing, this hide i got has a lot of long thin dark streaks (almost like zebra strips) and blemishes, which the last hide i used didn't really have (my instructor commented that we had an unusually beautiful shoulder). Is there a way to deal with these? I plan on dying my strips but i am afraid that they will still be noticeable.

Most likely just wrinkles. Post a pic of what your seeing.

Yeah just wrinkles. Wont be too apparent after tooled and dyed. Gives each piece a little bit of character!