Sign in to follow this  
buffalo

? pack saddle

I can't remember where I got this picture. Does anyone know anything about this pack saddle? Or have you made anything similar. If so how did you like it? I'm trying to figure out the rigging on it, how the 3 ring piece is connected.

Regards Buff

5324797.jpg

post-5732-1228402936_thumb.jpg

Where can I get a rawhide covered pack tree.

Buff

That is a sweet pack saddle.........who makes it?? I'd like to see more pics of it.

I'm not sure who makes a rawhide covered sawbuck. I've seen them before maybe 20 years ago. I've made a few sawbucks with skirts like the picture. Every single one went to Colorado for some reason, seems like they're popular there. I've never seen one up here in the Pacific Northwest. I make alot of pack saddles, both Deckers and sawbucks. Alot of my customers like the ability to do a little rasping on the bars to fit a particular animal in their strings, so the rawhide would be a problem if a person wanted to do that. Are you thinking about making one for your self or a customer? Chris

I was thinking about making one for myself. There is a company here close that makes these rawhide covered trees. They work real well on any animal I've tried them on. But the guy only makes them when he feels like it, so they are pretty hard to get. I sure would like to find somewhere else to get them.

Regards Buff

pack.jpg

post-5732-1228494636_thumb.jpg

Buffalo,

There's a guy who used to advertise this type of pack saddle in his catalog. I believe I found it under "high country cowboy company." If you do a google search it should come up. If I recall right he's out of Gunnison, CO. The saddle has not appeared in the recent catalogs but I bet he could help you find who makes them.

Regards,

Grumpy Guy

I've had the same experience with NW packers wanting to fine tune the bars for their pack strings. I see no reason thought that one couldn't send a sawbuck back to the tree maker to be be covered.

As to covering the sawbuck in leather as in the first post, I have NW packers who count every oz. that goes on the horse(or mule). They pre pack everything then weigh it all. If the weight goes over their maximum for the animal carrying the load they start looking for ways to trim pounds and even ounces.

We do have a variance in demographic.

Pleasure packers that don't really carry heavy for very long.

Hunters who only go out once or twice a year.

Dude packers who also pack light because they aren't out on long trips.

Then the serious packer who goes into the back country and the farther and or more rugged they go the more extra weight becomes an issue.

My sawbucks do fit the Arab-1/4xs as well as larger backs.

The first couple pix in this thread appear to be suited for smaller backs but that could just be my perception from those pix.

They are clean looking sawbucks though as looks goes. Most of my guys though are more focused on function.

I can't remember where to get those tripple rigging rings. Maybe it was Mast(back when) but I couldn't find them in Bork or Boise.

The tripple ring keeps your cinchas close if you like that and work well with the double cinchas.

Some packers like more width between the rings depending on their animal's conformation.

I also picked up a design for my paniers from an oldtimer who redesignd them without the leather ends which reduces weight (and maintanance)as well and are stronger.Cheers,GH

Frame_Sawbuck4.jpg

Frame_Sawbuck2.jpg

Frame_Sawbuck5.jpg

post-5156-1228841595_thumb.jpg

post-5156-1228841827_thumb.jpg

post-5156-1228842255_thumb.jpg