SovereignVS

Oily Leather Stain Clothing

I have a hopefully not dumb question.

I was wondering when using oil tanned leather, will the oils rub off onto clothing and cause a noticeable stain? Will the dyes rub off?

Will it with veg tanned?

I just want to make sure I'm using the proper leather for things I want to make without it coming off onto cloth.

I am new to leatherworking, so I reserve the right to be wrong. ;) I can tell you the things I've tried that have worked, but the things I've tried that haven't worked I am probably doing wrong. :lol:

So, that said...

I have a hide of 5oz oil tan leather that has worn like iron in anything I make of it and hasn't ever stained anything. In THEORY you're not supposed to dye oil tan leather (at least that's what I've heard) but in PRACTICE I can tell you that putting dye on oil tan leather WILL change its color. :lol: I haven't gotten GOOD color results and I haven't tried it in any kind of wear-test situation but I suspect the color will try to rub off, because oil tan leather is loaded with oils and waxes with may tend to repel the dye binders and pigments. Bear in mind also that I've only ever tried waterstains, which would probably be the worst candidate for dying oil tan leather. Oil dye might soak into the oil and mix with it, and spirit dyes MIGHT cut the oils and waxes and actually penetrate the leather fibers. THIS IS ALL THEORY, HOWEVER, AND ALL THE "REAL" LEATHER PEOPLE I KNOW SAY THIS IS PROBABLY A BAD IDEA. I'm doing it anyway because that's how I roll :lol: but the thing I recommend for sure is that if you don't try to dye oil tan at all, you probably won't have trouble with dye ruboff. You can (and probably should) condition oil tan leather to keep the oils fresh and supple; I'm a fan of Aussie leather conditioner but that's just me.

Now! On to veg-tan leather. I love, love, LOVE Tandy's Professional Waterstain series. My experience so far has been that once it dries it is extremely colorfast, even without a top coat finish, and even when it's wet. If you're doing traditional colors, however, you're limited to Bordeaux, Tan, Desert Sand, and Light Brown. All the other colors are "weird", like Turquoise and Fuchsia. :)

Hi-Lite color stains are, in my opinion, the most beautiful dyes in the whole wide world, but I can't figure out how to keep the darn stuff on for the life of me. The stuff that can seal it in (Super Shene, Resolene) also likes to dissolve and remove it when you're putting it on. Be prepared to experiment and ask for help before going down that road.

I just bought my first pot of Oil Dye yesterday so my experience with it is extremely limited. All I can say for sure is that it stinks like paint thinner. :)

Best of luck and let us know what experiments you try and how they turn out! :)

Dave

Edited by LeatherNerd