This may be common knowledge but it wasnt to me so I am sharing. I have been buying glue in the quart size can for the longest because it is more economical than the small weldwood glue with the brush in the jar lid. Problem was as I learned back a long time ago was that opening and closing the can ... which requires a screwdriver .... was making my glue gooey before I finished the whole can so not very economical. I then started pouring the glue into several smaller jars when I got home and would work through one jar before starting a new one and no more wasted glue but cleaning and buying brushes was making me insane.

For some reason it took my small brain until just a few months ago to search for a glue jar and I found one that works wonderfully. The brush can be loosened and slide up and down in the lid so that the brush is always in the glue but not the whole shaft. When the shaft is covered in glue it makes the whole thing a mess to work with. Just having the brush in the glue works great. It is sealed on either side of the lid with a rubber gasket. The brush itself is a nice horse hair which is far and away nicer and more precise than those nylon brushes that usually come in the small weldwood jars or the flux brushes some people like to use and the place I bought the jar from sells replacement brush heads! I waited to post about it to see how I liked it but I have been using it for about 3 months now and it is awesome. Been doing leatherwork since the early 90's and I just came to this now ... oh well better late than never. I dont know or owe this ebay seller anything so purchase at your own risk but I provided a link so you can see the product. That is where I bought mine. They come in different sizes and I think he sells plastic ones as well but I figured glass would be easier to clean when the time came. Just a nifty tool I hope helps someone out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Barge-Cement-Glue-Dispenser-W-Metal-Brush-3-5-8-16oz-Siline-Johnson-USA-/141144022629

s-l1600.jpg

Those work pretty welll --- and that's about HALF teh price you usually see them at.

Thanks for the link, I bought 2 5oz.

I bought the glue pot that is Teflon coated and like it a lot...however, had I seen this post before, I would have bought multiples of these...I'll probably buy some of these too.

Thanks for sharing and I will make sure to pass this on.....what a great option!

I buy glue in gallon tins then pour what I need into a instant coffee jar with a hoof oil brush in it. Been doing that for years. You can see it in use in one of my you tube English saddle making videos.

I buy glue in gallon tins then pour what I need into a instant coffee jar with a hoof oil brush in it. Been doing that for years. You can see it in use in one of my you tube English saddle making videos.

Plastic Jars tend to bounce when they hit the floor; Glass Jars, not always. Better price and shipping from Chicago Medical if you are buying more than one or two.

Art

Its funny the rumours that barge does not exist any more now that tandy has dropped it. Chicago Medical has all the good glues......The medical field is perfectly ok with glue that makes you high as a kite apparently.....

It is really a matter of cost. When you buy the stuff in 55 gal drums, the cost differential can be enough to sway a decision. Manufacturers already have fume extraction in place, so using the unhealthier product isn't a problem for them. Orthotics practitioners use the newer product because it fits into their practice. Long open times are a plus, and if the adhesive manufacturer is really serious, a blazingly fast accelerator is available. The formulations that use Toluene and MEK (old formulations) are somewhat similar to those that use Ethyl Acetate and other hydrocarbons (newer formulations), but development, testing and production probably cost a blue-blood fortune. It is not surprising that the new formulations were done in Europe long ago, as California type regulations are more the norm. I used Master for years before stumbling onto a can of Master Max Bond ("new" Renia formulation), which I have used since. I use Renia now and have learned how to use it, so I will "stick" with it (pun intended).

Art