spongocoel

Singer 269 Tacker Motor

I had a Singer 269W141 bar tacker fall into my lap. It currently has a 3 phase 220 volt motor on it, and I'd like to replace that with a servo or other 110v motor. Is that possible?

I've never actually seen this machine working except in YouTube videos, so I don't know how it really works mechanically. I have replaced clutch motors on other machines with servos, but the bar tacker looks like a different thing - there's no clutch on the motor, and I know it runs through a pattern that looks to be started and stopped mechanically.

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

You just need a regular motor, no servo, no clutch. My 269's run at 1750 rpm with about a 2" pulley. The motor drives the belt all the time when the machine is on, which is called stop motion. The actual clutch is on the top shaft and engages after you fully depress the pedal. You need the combination of the correct speed and torque in order to drive the cam through it's complete cycle and end up at stop motion after the cycle. Timing is everything. These machines are somewhat mechanically challenging, not for the novice as is the case with most bartacks. Parts are still available. I have about 12 of these in various sub-classes, and I'm usually using a couple on any given day. Have fun!

Regards, Eric

Thank you so much for your help! Do you have any recommendations for a specific motor or motor source?

My current project is an old Union Special cover stitch machine, which has about ten times the adjustments as a regular lockstitch that I'm used to. The bar tacker will be my next project. If I don't end up trying to throw one of them out the window (and ending up in the hospital with a sprained back and hernia), I'll feel like a pretty good mechanic. It's fun so far.

As long as the motor is a continuous running with about a 2" pulley and 1700 something rpm you'll be fine. One of our sponsors here can probably get a motor for you. If not, I buy them from Universal Sewing Supply. The machines are very sensitive about going the correct direction. You do not want to cycle it backwards. Ever. If you're standing at the back of the machine, the belt should turn CCW.

I also have a lot of coverstitch machines in various makes, including Union Special. Once you understand the differences between lockstitch and chainstitch, they aren't that difficult. The terminology is different, the parts are different, and once you understand those differences, the majority of the settings all have to do with thread controlling which is critical to all chainstitch machines. Have fun!

Regards, Eric

Hi , sorry if I am hijacking. Eric could you tell me if a squirrel motor would be suitable for a sewing machine. I had a sparky tell me this type of motor would work but I don't think he understood the torque/ speed aspect of sewing machines. could one of these type motors be made to work ok. thanks;

They would probably work for a continuous run motor as long as the rpm was in range. For a regular clutch motor, you pretty much need a clutch motor made for industrial sewing machines. They are fairly inexpensive.

Regards, Eric