Sign in to follow this  
earlthegoat2

Belt Slipping

So in an effort to see just what my machine could handle....I was making something....I put a full 3/4" of hard rolled horse hide under the foot and proceeded to sew. It really did not want to punch through the leather. I replaced the needle as the one I was using did have a burr in the tip.

Still it stalled out about half way through. I completed the project by helping the machine along using my hand on the flywheel. The point is the tensioning system on the speed reducer is not good. I cannot seem to get it tight enough for the very beginning and now it has shown me that I was right all along.

When I tried using a pry bar on it it almost wanted to strip the lag screws from the table bottom.

Should I drill some holes and through bolt it and then use the pry bar? The motor has a nice positive tensioning system on it with a threaded rod. It would be nice if there was the same for the reducer.

The machine is a CB4500 running a 25 needle and 277 lubed thread.

Edited by earlthegoat2

The best & easiest way is to take the long belt from the reducer to the machine off & loosen the motor belt alittle by using the adjustment on it & then when you push the speed reducer down just 1/4" or so it will push real easy then tighten everything back,put the belts on & try it.

Thanks for the help sir. This worked exactly as explained