caba

Singer 29K15

Hi ..Any opinions on the singer 29K15? Are needles etc easily available and whats the max thickness is it capable of...can I make boots with it? Or am I dreaming...? Thanks all

The 29k patchers used to require system 29x3 and 29x4 needles, which are no longer made. However, system 135x16 is the same length from the top of the shank to the eye. They are a good substitute.

As for the maximum thickness, it is 1/4 inch of leather. Since the bobbins are teensie weensie, most folks only thread them with #69 bonded thread (and a #18 needle). Also, if the feed motion crank is worn down, as they usually are on such old machines, the stitch length will suffer tremendously. I once had that model and it only sewed 8 to the inch when I got it.

As for sewing boot uppers, that is what they are made to sew. A local bootmaker came to my shop to sew uppers on my long arm, big bobbin, Singer 29k172. The only parts it couldn't sew were the pull tabs on the back (~3/8" thickness). For those, we used my Cowboy CB4500.

Hi Wiz......1/4 " is not any more than my highlead sews..thanks for that information...sounds like the Cowboy will do almost anything you can throw at it...by the way , I rang Darren at Bonnys locker in Australia, I bought his poly thread, no more skipping or uneven stitches, and bought a roller guide..best item so far...very very nice guy and great service....thanks also to your sound advice..:)..my work is looking far more professional.

Caba;

You should get back to Darren and ask him for the specs on his Able patchers. It is a custom build he commissioned.

Wiz..I did ask him via his fb page, its around the same as my highlead as per thickness..., will keep my eyes peeled , these machines are rare in my area....finally got the highlead to run happily along , its now a great machine!....thanks Wiz.