dikman

Bobbin Winder-Variations On A Theme

Or to be more precise, variations on Uwe's excellent post - http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=66003.

My first effort should have been much the same as Uwe's, as the motor appeared to be very similar, but unfortunately the gearing is different and mine was very slow in comparison. It still worked fine at winding bobbins, but due to the time it took I figured I would need to fit a cut-off microswitch to turn off the motor when it was wound. This wasn't going to be particularly difficult, but then I started wondering if there was a better way (and maybe I should speed it up a bit).

post-63428-0-06574100-1447034111_thumb.j

I was looking at the "standard" winders that come with most industrial machines and I thought "there's a possibility". I have three, and on one of them the driving wheel is held on by a screw, so easy to remove. Also the "split axle" system they use to hold on the bobbin only fits one size, and I needed something that could take different sizes.

I removed the axle and turned up a new, longer one on the lathe and threaded the bobbin end to take a wingnut. That solved the different size bobbin issue. Now, how to drive it. I have accumulated quite a few pulleys in my efforts to slow down my machines, so I used a 110mm pulley, drilled and tapped it for a locking screw and then turned a reducing sleeve down to fit it onto the motor shaft. That worked well, so next I turned down a small pulley, barely bigger than the bobbin shaft, to suit a small v-belt from a junked domestic Singer (or might have been from the Necchi, I can't remember). Once it was all put together it actually worked as I'd hoped (!), with the normal mechanical shut-off operating once the bobbin is full. The speed is such that while it's faster it's not enough to warrant a speed control (although I've ordered one anyway, for $2.70 it's not worth the trouble building one!). I'm still thinking of fitting a micro-switch to the shut-off arm so that it turns off the motor when the bobbin is full, but I'll wait and see if it's really necessary (I suspect not).

post-63428-0-24975100-1447034219_thumb.j post-63428-0-96668500-1447034234_thumb.j

I should add that this doesn't wind at lightning speed because that's not what I wanted. Building a fast winder would have been easy as I have numerous motors that would have worked, I just prefer something that is more controllable.

So thanks Uwe for the idea.

Someone needs to sell a good one. Low price is not a large requirement. Using a Boss I need a good winder.

This may end up being like a diy bobbin winder showdown.......I have one I just built as well, but haven't photo'd much. Will do today. I need horse in the race....

TT, nah, no showdown, just ideas for other people, which is why you should post yours. What suits me, of course, might not necessarily suit others.

Mlapaglia, I've seen one or two advertised, but I think they only suit domestic-size bobbins. Mine is currently set for the smaller (Singer/Pfaff) bobbins, but it wouldn't be hard to modify it for larger ones.

I have been using a manual variation based upon and electronic bobbin winder I found on EBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181706248911?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have it mounted to a block,of wood, originally used at scout camp for a Tippmann Boss and Wyndham Cub, but the other day I attached it via clamp to my CB

227 table and utilized the bobbin winder tensioner while feeding the thread off of the spool holder in back. I have since adapted this method to the Boss and the Cub. I use a spool holder and run the thread thru the Boss or Cub tensioner and wind the bobbins. I use it for my size 33, 15 and L bobbins exclusively. I can wind as fast (The winder has an 8-1 ratio) or slow as desired.

post-61270-0-12140700-1448831278_thumb.j

Sorry about the picture orientation, 1st attempt to do this

My bobbin winder...I've never used the one that came with the machine (Cowboy 3500)

post-4803-0-24751400-1448835255_thumb.jp

Can't argue with the price, Rayban.

Elthoma, that looks like it's meant for winding coils for electronics, judging by the fact it has a counter. Neat idea using a drill chuck.