panchoskywalker

Wet Formed Leather Watch Strap

Hello folks, a client asked me to make a wet formed leather strap like you see on the picture for his watch. I understand I need to wet the leather to mold it on the watch but the pushers on the side of the watch makes it very difficult.

Any idea is welcome.

Is it ok to do it with chrome tanned leather or does is it need to be done with vegetable leather?

wv5swm.jpg

2im6s90.jpg

a0gnxu.jpg

It has to be done with vegetable tanned leather, as you can't case and mold chrome tanned leather.

Other than that you need to make a shape to mold it over (info on wet molding/casing can be found numerous places), but it wont be easy getting a perfect shape. Ideally you'd use a positive and a negative mold in a press. But if this is probably not a viable idea if it's something you're only going to make once.

Thanks, client says it can also be a kind of pocket, not necessarily wet formed.....I need an idea.....

Check out MKleathers on Instagram. He makes those types of straps. Maybe he could help or maybe you could get some ideas from his pics.

MKleathers.pl