michaeljamesboudreaux

Hi I'm The New Guy

Hey guys! Went through the forums, watched videos, and googled. I have an idea of the tools and things I need. I'm looking into making wallets and stuff as of now to get started. So with that said.

What's a good brand of stitching chisels to begin with? Not a lot of money for them, being I'm getting all my other tools.

Tandy has stitching chisels that are affordable and do the job.

post-60051-0-55482900-1449171607_thumb.p

Check out their membership too. You can do some quick math to make sure, but if you buy a decent amount of stuff, it more than pays for itself.

Another good supplier is Springfield Leather. Too far to drive but they have new flat shipping rates which are good. They are particularly nice and helpful and frequently run good sales. Their Finesse tool line has some decent quality punches for cheap.

Try to look for sales. Right now Tandy has some decent tooling leather on sale. I agree 3-4 oz. works well for wallets. Depending on firmness of the leather, I can sometimes go thinner. Also, a very generous forum member posted a nice wallet templare awhile ago. It is for a bifold and features a type of card slot you might appreciate. It is cut like a "T", in order to keep edge thickness uniform and thinner. Good place to start if you don't have your own pattern. You can easily find the post in the template area. Believe the posters name is Ducjes or similar.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=54776&hl=%2Bbifold+%2Btemplate

You can obviously modify the template to suit your needs. Try modifying the shape of slots for example. Add additional slots, change direction of the slots, lots of room for personalization and creativity. Good luck.

Thank man!! I will check it out!

Yea I made two of my own patterns by how I like mine last night on paper, More of a minimalist wallet. Also I found a local guy and he actually sat down with me and chowder me a few things and I bought a good piece of Herman oak 3oz that he had. The only thing is he sells it for 15 a square foot. I wish I could buy pieces online instead of whole sides or such being that I'm not that inclined in skill yet!

Ps I noticed I can loose track of time searching these damn forums learning lol

Springfield Leather sells much of their leather by the square foot. Check them out. They also sell wallet backs, premade interiors, etc.