tagger609

Boxed Corners With Heavy Leather

First question for you guys on these forums. I have attempted to make a tote bag out of some 4-5oz oil tan leather and cannot seem to be able to box the corners easily. the leather is just too thick to smoothly sew across to the corners to be able to give it the boxed look. Anyone have any tricks ?

attached is an example of the boxed corner.

post-63545-0-56369000-1449455758_thumb.j

Have you tried skivving the leather around the edges that you're sewing first? I use a machine but if you do it manually, just make sure your blade is extremely sharp. That's really the only way to get it to keep from having that buckled, puckered look. Even with softer leather, I skiv down the edges before i sew and it gives much better lines.

If you don't have a machine, make sure you practice a bunch first. It's not always a quick-pick-up skill.

One thing that can help a little is to use a smooth faced hammer. Fold the leather where you want the crease and tap/hit with a hammer (how hard you hit depends on how easily the leather shows marks). That will help sharpen the fold. Then, sew as normal.

I sometimes will use a stitch groover at the backside of the fold to encourage it to go straight, and then case the leather from the backside and force the fold. Let it dry folded, and then sew. Binder clips are your freind. Make up some leather strip pads so they don't mark. I sometimes use veg-retan chrome tanned hot stuffed latigo that is very stiff and is how i did this at full thickness 4-5 oz:

post-60185-0-38027300-1448557622_thumb.j
Sorry for the blur, you get the idea, its the only pic i have of this detail.
post-60185-0-13933600-1449519094_thumb.j

So the real issue is when using my sewing machine which has a max of 3/4 of an inch. The 2 seams which i made are just far too tall. The skiving idea may work . I will give it a try,

3/4 inch?? 3/4 inches is 12 layers of leather at 4 oz. I am a little confused how you are getting seams that thick. That bottom corner is done inside out, and each seam is 2 layers, and 4 layers at the overlap between the front and back, in the middle of the seam.

If you need to, sew as close as you can to the 4 layer bit and hand stitch the last inch or so.

Edited by TinkerTailor