thefanninator

Anyone Else...12Spi

Just practicing with my VB pricking wheel 12tpi. Wheel says 12 on it but measures about 11.5 per inch.

post-43646-0-73743400-1449886489_thumb.j

Edited by thefanninator

Looks fine. I guess it would depend where you start your measurement?

Chris, you crazy.

Picked up an old pricking iron that I think is about 12 spi in anticipation of making gloves someday. I practiced on some 2-3 oz. veg (too thick, but the thinnest I had) just to see what a seam would look like. I sewed it inside-out, and it looked terrific when I turned it around to the show side. But I've not made a full project using this iron.

Does the VB tool pierce thin leather, or just mark?

What are you working on?

Edited by soccerdad

To get the wheel to pierce anything you've got to really push down hard. Mine was just marked. I'm not making anything now w/12 just practicing for watch straps or maybe zipper pulls.

i'm at 10 spi for watch straps. 12 would be a bit tight for me, but i'll bet it would look good.

Picked up an old pricking iron that I think is about 12 spi in anticipation of making gloves someday. I practiced on some 2-3 oz. veg (too thick, but the thinnest I had) just to see what a seam would look like. I sewed it inside-out, and it looked terrific when I turned it around to the show side. But I've not made a full project using this iron.

Does the VB tool pierce thin leather, or just mark?

What are you working on?

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what is the make of your pricking iron? Are they still being made? I quite fancy having a go,...

Cheers

Alex

Alex,

It turns out the iron is 13 spi with in-line (not slanted) teeth. I find no maker's mark, I'm afraid. The tool looks to be quite old, and I picked it up inexpensively, hoping it might serve. Sorry that's not more helpful.

Dale

I believe that i have the same blanchard pricking wheel fanninator and i thought that the markings on the wheels were tpi instead of spi. I got mine out and ran all four of the wheels and measured them and it sure looks like tpi to me. If it matters the wheels with mine are marked 7, 8, 10 & 12. Either way 11 or 12 its still very fine stitching

rick

Edited by rickdroid