bushpilotmexico

Using Resolene Over Wyosheen?

Just wondering, I have been experimenting with antiquing and used WhoSheen as my resist. Once the paste drys completely is it possible to put a coat of Resolene over the WyoSheen that was used as the resist? Are they compatible with each other or should I just stick with using another coating of WyoSheen as the final finish?

Thx

Just wondering, I have been experimenting with antiquing and used WhoSheen as my resist. Once the paste drys completely is it possible to put a coat of Resolene over the WyoSheen that was used as the resist? Are they compatible with each other or should I just stick with using another coating of WyoSheen as the final finish?

Thx

I quests what I'm asking is can you use an acrylic over a lacquer?

So, the only way to really know is to do a practice piece. That being said when mixing coats, the "hotter" one has to be on the bottom and dry before applying the "less hotter" one. Read hotter as more volatile. If you put acrylic on the bottom, the lacquer will dissolve it somewhat. If you put lacquer on the bottom and let it dry, the acrylic should not dissolve it. THIS IS IN THEORY, because there are so many formulations and green formulations that you can't know without testing it.

Art

So, the only way to really know is to do a practice piece. That being said when mixing coats, the "hotter" one has to be on the bottom and dry before applying the "less hotter" one. Read hotter as more volatile. If you put acrylic on the bottom, the lacquer will dissolve it somewhat. If you put lacquer on the bottom and let it dry, the acrylic should not dissolve it. THIS IS IN THEORY, because there are so many formulations and green formulations that you can't know without testing it.

Art

Thanks Art, I did try a test piece and it seemed to work but I guess was kind of wondering about how it would last long term, if there would be a reaction. That test piece had some Fiebings antique paste over some basket weave stamping. I guess I didn't wait long enough for the paste to dry. When I applied the Resolene it must have dissolved some of the paste as I could see it turning a little British Tan.

How long would you recommend that I should allow the paste to dry before top coating it, I'm kind of thinking now about 24 hours?

Thx

Well, antique paste is acrylic, about the same as Resolene or Tan-Kote. Now you are putting Resolene on top of that, being the same, acrylic dissolves acrylic so you have to let the first coat dry completely. Also in an acrylic on acrylic application, thin coats are an absolute necessity. After the antique does it's job, a little judicious brushing might be in order before spraying a light coat of Resolene, or apply a thin coat with a rag. Thin coats.

Test before you invest.

Art

Well, antique paste is acrylic, about the same as Resolene or Tan-Kote. Now you are putting Resolene on top of that, being the same, acrylic dissolves acrylic so you have to let the first coat dry completely. Also in an acrylic on acrylic application, thin coats are an absolute necessity. After the antique does it's job, a little judicious brushing might be in order before spraying a light coat of Resolene, or apply a thin coat with a rag. Thin coats.

Test before you invest.

Art

Thanks Art

Cliff