DevilDog04

Tools For Holsters, Slings, Sheaths.....

a few weeks ago I read alot of threads on this forum pertaining to beginner's tools. I eventually decided to order the Deluxe Leather Craft Kit from Tandy. Set me back about $100. I also ordered the hand stitch kit because I knew I was going to need that eventually.

My question is, for making holsters and gun/hunting stuff like slings, and knife sheaths, etc what tools do you recommend?

Here's what I have so far

mallet

Sewing Awl

Needles 1/0

Thread

beeswax

6 stamping tools

swivel knife

Poly roller

strop

jewelers rouge

stain

tracing paper and patterns (bought the 1911 holster book from Tandy)

Acquired a marble slab for doing leather work on ..

and about 24 rounders for practice!

I know I need

punch set

diamond head chisels

overstitch tool

stylus

is there anything else you guys that make holsters and gun slings, and knife sheaths would recommend? I'm extrememly new to leathercraft so I'm going out on a limb here....

A few more of the basics:

contact adhesive

wing dividers or a stitch groover to mark your stitch lines

sandpaper, sanding block, or even a belt sander for edges

an edger or two

burnishing tool and method

snaps and/or rivets and appropriate setting tools if you choose to use either type of hardware

maybe a couple oblong punches or even a couple of wood chisels with the correct hole punch to make slots

I need to make myself a sign like this one.

post-34967-0-31293600-1451527454_thumb.j

I'm sure everyone has made "wrong handed" holsters or sheathes or assembled something inside out. If you mix up a step or two you can turn a nice project into scrap pretty quickly.

Dude! I went into a Tandy leather store in West Palm Beach Fl. in 1981, I wanted to "make a knife sheath". Been "collecting" tools ever since.

You have what you need to get started. Ken G. is right- a few of those things will be needed. this site, you tube are fantastic resources. Watch, read and experiment. Order some scrap veg tan leather from Springfield and dive in...you will find that you may already own tools that will get you by for now..(razor knife for example), and later, you will discover/determine what you really need.

I always "need" something!