ban0706

Milled/tumbled/soft Veg Tan Leather Supplier

Happy New Year! The few times I've posted here I have always received great information and feedback so I am hoping that someone might be able to assist me today. Someday I hope to return the favor!

I have been searching for a softer veg tan leather to make both large and small bags (large totes, bucket bags, etc). I've mainly worked with Hermann Oak and W&C for the items I've been making so far but want something softer. Does anyone know of a supplier of US milled leather in natural veg tan? Is "milled" the correct term for what I am looking for?

I've contacted Sheridan, Montana Leather, Maverick, and Oregon leather but have had no luck. Springfield is closed for the day and I can't tell on their site if the milled leather they have is US leather. I have not contacted Weaver b/c I received a hide from them last year that was not great. But mucho $$$. I don't want to get my leather from Tandy.

If brown or black is my only other option, any US based suppliers would still be appreciated. For my current business I try to have all of my materials be US based. Perhaps this may be the exception where the leather is from outside the US but at least from a US supplier?

Thanks again!

Beth

If you can find them, Italian tanned veg hides are glorious.....They generally are much softer and pliable than american.

Check this out: http://www.pellealvegetale.it/en/

I know a place in Vancouver BC........If you are close enough. Gotta go in person.

Italian Calf from Hardtke. If you can go ten sides at a time, then contact W&C as they will special run a 10 side batch. Waterhouse may also fit the bill with their Renaissance leather.

For all American, W&C is pretty much your only answer.

Art

Thank you both for the replies. I'm in the US so would not be able to check out the place in Vancouver. I talked with W&C and am hoping they'll have what I need!