artieinmiami

Old Singer machine

I have my grandmother's old singer machine (model 201-2 serial # AF632681 made in the 1940's)... and had it serviced about ten years ago then put it into storage. I took it out last week, set it all up and it will not sew ?? The timing seems perfect and I know I am using the correct needle (checked with singer) what the heck can be wrong ?? When I thread the machine, the hook grabs the bobbin thread and sends it up through the hole in the plate...when I start to sew...all I get are holes in the material. Also, I noticed that the thread breaks at the needle every time. What else can I check ?? I changed the thread tension...same thing. Is there some special bobbin that I need...the bobbin feeds the thread easily and it is really frustrating. Thanks in advance for any help.

artie in miami

I have my grandmother's old singer machine (model 201-2 serial # AF632681 made in the 1940's)... and had it serviced about ten years ago then put it into storage. I took it out last week, set it all up and it will not sew ?? The timing seems perfect and I know I am using the correct needle (checked with singer) what the heck can be wrong ?? When I thread the machine, the hook grabs the bobbin thread and sends it up through the hole in the plate...when I start to sew...all I get are holes in the material. Also, I noticed that the thread breaks at the needle every time. What else can I check ?? I changed the thread tension...same thing. Is there some special bobbin that I need...the bobbin feeds the thread easily and it is really frustrating. Thanks in advance for any help.

artie in miami

I had the same problem on an old Singer 16-188, it turned out to be that the hook assembly was wore from too many years of sewing dirty horse blankets. I put in a new hook and the problem was solved. There was enough slack that the hook would crowd into the needle and cut the thread. Hope this helps you.

...old singer machine model 201-2....timing seems perfect and I know I am using the correct needle...When I thread the machine, the hook grabs the bobbin thread and sends it up through the hole in the plate...when I start to sew...all I get are holes in the material. Also, I noticed that the thread breaks at the needle every time. artie in miami

A few easy things that you may have already done, or can do, would be:

1. Try 1 or 2 other new needles, or ones that you're pretty sure aren't bent. What size needle are you trying to use? Some machines don't get along well with some needle sizes. Try a different size needle to see if anything improves. Make sure you have the needle positioned the right way. This machine threads from right to left, so the 15x1 needle goes in with the flat side toward the left, and make sure it goes all of the way up in to the stop.

2. Re-thread everything. Make sure you've loaded the bobbin in the bobbin case correctly, and that the upper thread is routed correctly. If you don't have a book, there are several places online where you can get a free threading guide. Just Google [ Singer 201 Threading ].

3. Make sure the bobbin case is setting in the machine correctly. It will go in wrong, so it may need taken out and re-inserted. You'll need a User Manual for instructions to do this if you haven't done it before. It should feel just a little "loose" and move a little bit when in correctly. There has to be room for the upper thread to go completely around it to make the stitch.

Hopefully, it will be something simple that gets it going again. CD