jochild

Techsew 2700 Safety Clutch And Rotary Hook Question

I let a friend use my Techsew 2700 to sew some projects. He accidentally let the lower thread get sucked down and I believe he engaged the safety clutch. After getting the thread out I also noticed there was a small burr on the rotary hook. I looked in the manual to see how to reset the timing, and could not understand how the thing worked. So my questions are:

1) How do I use the safety clutch to reset the timing, and how will I know if it has been reset?

2) Do I need a new rotary hook, or can I just sand out the burr.

Thanks for the help!

First of all, take that friend off your approved borrower list. Sucked-down thread does not put burrs on the hook, but using sharp tools to get the thread out will. You can try to use very fine sandpaper to smooth out the burr. However, you will need to take out the hook to do that properly. You don't want sandpaper grit falling into the bearings and such. New hooks are cheap at around $30-40 on Ebay and perhaps from Techsew directly.

The Techsew 2700 is supposed to be a clone similar to the Consew 227, so the Consew 227 manual is what I looked at. I don't quite understand why Techsew does not make their manuals available for download. Perhaps the english in their manuals is just as bad as the Consew version and they're a little embarrassed about it.

Here's the relevant section from the manual about how to reset the safety clutch, and it is pretty opaque prose:

post-56402-0-93872700-1452825118_thumb.p

I made a little video about variations of your type of safety clutch. It may help understand how they work and how you can tell if it's engaged or not:

My hook timing video also shows how to check and reset this type of clutch, at the 1:21 mark:

Edited by Uwe