Mike516

How Would You Handle This Vegan

that was actually Mark Twain; Carlin quoted it well.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/539027-never-argue-with-stupid-people-they-will-drag-you-down

To follow up on another joke someone told here:

If someone is a vegan and into crossfit, which do they tell you about first when you meet them?

If someone is a vegan and into crossfit, which do they tell you about first when you meet them?

Ah? Ok, I thought it was Carlin that said that, and Twain said "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"? Still both funny men with a very clever way of getting their point across! Like reading both their work. :)

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience". George Carlin

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/539027-never-argue-with-stupid-people-they-will-drag-you-down

Ah? Ok, I thought it was Carlin that said that, and Twain said "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"? Still both funny men with a very clever way of getting their point across! Like reading both their work. :)

Who ever said which, they both cracked me up.

She still hasn't replied. It would seem she is a one and done troll. She probably searches for leather, meat, etc and makes sure to reply with a veganish post to just those. If I had more time and/or inclination, I would look for her and see what she is replying to. Possibly if I have a second I will take a quick look but I don't want to waste a lot of time on her. But if she is a vegan troll making trouble, I would like to out her. The moderators on this forum have booted people for less. And one thing I hate is people who get offended over everything and can't keep their nose out of other people's business.

There are better answers on here, but the wise guy in me would want to ask how enslaving another sentient being for your personal and emotional pleasure is ethical? But I'm getting cranky about this things. Which makes it easier to turn someones argument to me against them these days. Of course, that would also depend on the tone I was getting from the question. A legit question usually gets a legit answer. Try to cause problems and you just might get more than you asked for.

BTW, yes I'm a dog owner. But I'm not asking a potentially loaded question.

And according to my distributor, their truck loads of hides come straight from the meat packing/slaughter houses. It's not a very pretty sight though. They just kind of dump them in the parking lot. lol

Eh, there are a couple well-known collar makers who use "vegan" leather alternatives. I didn't get the impression that she was being rude or troll-y, just that she liked your work and was actually wondering if you use those materials as well.

They handle more as textiles than leather. It's often actually a weather-resistant vinyl affixed to a synthetic core to give it more substance and that consistency of dense strap leather. I would just explain to her that while they're often marketed to bear a similar name, the materials are quire different and at this time, that isn't a material you are working with.

Edited by Beret

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did she say that inspired such an venomous reaction?

What she said is in my original post. And what venomous reaction are you referring to?

Eh, there are a couple well-known collar makers who use "vegan" leather alternatives. I didn't get the impression that she was being rude or troll-y, just that she liked your work and was actually wondering if you use those materials as well.

They handle more as textiles than leather. It's often actually a weather-resistant vinyl affixed to a synthetic core to give it more substance and that consistency of dense strap leather. I would just explain to her that while they're often marketed to bear a similar name, the materials are quire different and at this time, that isn't a material you are working with.

Weather or not she meant it to be rude or troll-y, the point is perception. How will people perceive the comment, and how will they react to it? Will they allow it to influence weather they buy leather items or not? Since she made her comment, one (yes 1) inquiry and 0 sales. It won't make or break me, but it's disappointing. Whatever her intention or if it was just a simple question, her short statement made an impact.

Edited by Mike516

I think that most people in the market for leather dog collars are well aware that the leather used is an animal product. And if those browsing your products are at all influenced by someone quite literally pointing out the obviously... Well... Maybe they should stick to the cheap nylon petstore varietal.

I just think it's quite a stretch to fear that someone asking a fairly benign question about alternate materials is going to hurt the market for custom leather collars.

Vegans...

I once asked a vegan why he chose to become vegan. He replied, "for reasons of health," then lit a cigarette.

I think that most people in the market for leather dog collars are well aware that the leather used is an animal product. And if those browsing your products are at all influenced by someone quite literally pointing out the obviously... Well... Maybe they should stick to the cheap nylon petstore varietal.

I just think it's quite a stretch to fear that someone asking a fairly benign question about alternate materials is going to hurt the market for custom leather collars.

That's right and I agree. But what we're talking about here is a normal breed specific forum where vendors are permitted to post their wares, not a leather sales website or the like. I was simply looking for advice on how to neutralize her statement, that's all.

Business and politics, a sticky subject. Mixing the two is tenuous. Too much of the wrong kind of politics will kill a business. The best way to deal with politics in relation to customers is to avoid it. Respectfully and truthfully state business reasons why the request can't be fulfilled, and move on. It is ok to say no, however saying it the right way can actually build customer base, instead of alienating it.

Business and politics, a sticky subject. Mixing the two is tenuous. Too much of the wrong kind of politics will kill a business. The best way to deal with politics in relation to customers is to avoid it. Respectfully and truthfully state business reasons why the request can't be fulfilled, and move on. It is ok to say no, however saying it the right way can actually build customer base, instead of alienating it.

I went and responded to her with your original suggestion. I'm not sure why people see it as being venomous. But that's fine. You're right about the politics and business and I try never to mix the two.

What she said is in my original post. And what venomous reaction are you referring to?

From your comments, you immediately jumped to the conclusion that she is trying to stir shit. In your own words, "point out her moral superiority," in an attempt to turn away business. You referred to her as a nutcase and a troll, attacked her choice of lifestyle and her character, even going so far as to consider cyber hunting her. All over a single sentence. If that's not venom, tell me, what is?

Maybe it's because I work in customer service and have worked in retail, but in my experience, when someone requests something out of the ordinary, they will often give a reason as to why. If that is exactly what she said, there is nothing in there to insinuate that she was making a thinly veiled attack. It's an 'I'm making an unusual request, this is why' question that can be easily and politely answered with a Sorry Ma'am, I don't work work with synthetic materials. No need for lengthy explanations or sarcasm, it's a simple yes or no question.

That's just my two cents

I do not wish to argue with you, but some of the things you are saying are misconstrued. For an example; I never said I was going to cyber hunt her. If I had an inclination, which I do not, I could go look at other responses on the forum to attempt to determine if this was in fact an attempt to assert her veganness. I don't consider that cyber hunting.

I thought this was a place to discuss problems, and this issue with the vegan has become a small problem for me. I was not rude to her, I didn't threaten her, and your last statement; "that can be easily and politely answered with a Sorry Ma'am, I don't work work with synthetic materials. No need for lengthy explanations or sarcasm, it's a simple yes or no question." That is basically what I told her, no sarcasm or lengthy explanation. This issue is over, I answered, she never said anything after that, so it is done. I'm sorry you think I am being unfair, but as I said, I was looking for some help here. Some people gave it, and some have turned this around on me, I'm not sure why.

But I consider this matter handled and closed. Thank you to all who helped with it, I really appreciate it.

Edited by Mike516

I stopped eating animal product almost 2 years ago - for my health, no other reason. I also work with leather and love it. I suppose I'm an "unethical vegan". :rofl:

I was asked once why I make holsters out of "Dead Animals." I replied because I am too stupid to teach live ones how to carry my gun and give it to me exactly when I need it. :)