craneman54

Quartz Slab

OK people I just started researching leather working this week.

I see where a quartz slab is used to do the punch work on, and I understand the purpose of such a slab.

I am just wondering if a peace of granite counter top would be ok to use. I have a piece about 24'X18"x 3/4" would this be thick and strong enough if placed on a good heavy piece of wood that has been planed and flattened?

Mine is about an inch and a half thick, . . . but I'd say your's will probably do the trick.

The important thing is to allow the stamp to do it's work, . . . which on a spongy surface, . . . doesn't happen correctly.

I would, however, . . . build a box to put that thing in, . . . with handles at each end, . . . and bring the wood up around the edges so it is flush with the top.

My piece sometimes aggravates me when I get kinda tired and rest my wrists on the edge, . . . with a rounded wooden edge you would not have that problem. I have meant to do that to mine, . . . but for now just throw a towel on it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Perfect. Granite counter scraps are the cheapest way to go here. 3/4" is about as light as I would go, and I wouldn't go smashing things with a 5lb hammer, however for stamping and other bench duty it will be great. If you have 2 pieces, you can laminate them with epoxy, and make 1-1/2". Try to use an epoxy that spreads so there are no voids. Glue it up on the floor with baking parchment paper underneath to prevent glueng it to the floor, it will squeeze out. ......Then place as many of the heaviest things you can find on top while the glue sets. If you can set up a wood form or something to hold the layers square with each other that is good too, the top and bottom layers love to squirm around under clamping pressure.

Btw, Epoxy is stinky, and can be for a day or three, or forever if you do not mix it properly. Most consumer epoxies are designed to be used at room temp, so do it in a ventilated heated place, away from living space or wait till summer and do it outside.

Thanks for the help. What you both have described is exactly what I was thinking. I have some really old (not rotten) and thick straight grained fur I can mill down to make the box and insert the slap. Once I have the box made I will probably use epoxy to completely cover the bottom so any minor voids will be filled creating a more solid base.

I know granite breaks easily so there will be no hard banging going. I will probably turn a mallet on my wood lathe to use just for leather working.

Again thanks for the help and I hope I don't run anyone off with all the future questions I will be asking. :)

Edited by craneman54