Wyvern

Care and feeding?

I have started using acrylic dyes, antiques, and sealers on my projects. I would like to include "care and feeding" instructions with everything. Will saddle soap work, or neutral shoe polish. I just want to help my customers take care of the leather. I just don't want to suggest something that will ruin the finish. :blush:

Care & Feedings products and techniques would depend on the type of leather and the finish. Can you be more specific?

This is a great question Wyvern, thanks for posting it. I've been wondering the same thing now that most new dyes and antique finishes and such are some form of Acrylic.

I have always been under the impression that an acrylic finish was basically like a coat of plastic on top of whatever the item is. And so in my own feeble mind it seems like trying to oil or wax something with a plastic coat on the top of it would be an exercise in futility.

So I'm wondering the same thing. After applying an acrylic dye/antique/top coat/ etc etc...how do we make sure the leather is properly cared for?

Maybe some of you eco-flo pros out there could clue us in? Pretty please.

Care & Feedings products and techniques would depend on the type of leather and the finish. Can you be more specific?

The leather is 7oz vegitand tooling leather. I have carved and tooled a pattern on it, then usually put an acrylic gel antique from Tandt. On top of that I airbrush a coat of Satin sheen or Super sheen (also from Tandy). I agree with Strapt about thinking that this stuff was like a plastic coating. I don't want to tell some one to put something on the leather that will damage the finish. Does it actually need anything?