Davidstryingtosew

Pfaff 145-H4 / Singer 211G166 / Adler 67 Ga-373 / Juki Lu-563

If you could only have one machine what would you choose. I'm planning to use mine for auto upholstry (leather) and bags, wallets and maybe belts. So just hobby stuff, nothing serious or high volume.

I know the the 211 has a small handwheel but I'm planning on turning a larger wheel/pulley for either one of the machines. But I read somewhere that it needs to run fast for its auto oil;ing system, but not sure about that.

I'm quite new to this so please explain what feature you like or dislike about the machine.

I'm really stumped on between the Pfaff and the Adler because well... there Pfaff and Adler. So pretty much deciding by reputation. But the Juki looks so well made and quite more beefy. I did notice the Juki has pressed in (and replaceable) bronze bushings for the hook shaft, where the Pfaff is just machined in the castings. I havent had time to look over the Singer yet.

You can get all of the major parts for the Juki 563. The 145, 211, and the 67GK are great machines though.

Thanks Steve

I was looking for accessories for the Juki last night. Prices for the Juki are unbelievably reasonable too. I read that people have successfully opened up the hole in the bobbin cap to run 207 thread. Have you heard that before?

My 211G166 doesn't have an auto-oiler. Also, on the 211 the handwheel is cast to include a bushing that fits inside the head and around the shaft, it's not just a matter of fitting a different pulley. You can machine a replacement, of course, but there's a bit more work involved.

One thing I soon realised is that, as in most things, there isn't one machine that will do it all (unfortunately). The machines you're talking about will probably do most of what you want, and do it well, but sooner or later you'll probably run up against the limitations of a flat bed machine. Also, be warned that, in some strange way, industrial sewing machines, and the collecting thereof, can become a bit of an addiction!!!

Having said that, from everything I've read the Juki sounds like a nice machine.

Maybe the 211 I was reading about was a different sub class. Good to know about the one I have, Thanks!

I hope to find some time this weekend to take a look at it. maybe during halftime on Sunday ;)

Yes, you couldn't be more correct about the addiction to these machines. That alone is like a hobby in itself.

David