chrstn53

Large Collection Of Early Saddle Stamps On Ebay

Came across this collection while looking though the leather tool section on ebay. They look well made, but the seller states that they are unmarked. Cool designs that you don't see often, I thought someone on this forum would probably be interested in this collection. Any thoughts on who the maker could be?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Collection-Of-Saddle-Stamps-Leather-Working-Tools-Vintage-Lot-Rare-/311531505134?hash=item4888b985ee:g:bsoAAOSwUV9WoOq6

post-35343-0-68793300-1453781719_thumb.j

post-35343-0-29548100-1453781726_thumb.j

Sorry no idea what make they are or who the maker was, but there's a large amount of stamps not showing any profile and the quite a few of the ones who have are pretty worn.

However, they aren't in my price range and I wouldn't consider buying them even if they would be for the aforesaid reasons.

All are McMillen stamps except for the Craftools

$15 dollars per tool in a lot on ebay as a starting bit is pretty high and greedy. If it was a $150 starting bid, and a 2 week auction, it might go that high but it would actually have interest and sell. I have seen whole complete usable 150 year old gerstner tool boxes full of quality antique saddlers tools go for less than that.

I would watch, I bet it is relisted with a $1000-$1200 starting bid next and still won't sell. If you go to the trouble of splitting up the set and marketing them individuallly all cleaned up, you may get 15 per tool on average, after accounting for the fact some sell for more and some don't sell at all.