Hi all, new to the forum.Looking forward to learning some new techniques. Thought id share my first knife sheath made for my husbands Kershaw Echo. Definitely a learning experience. I used a double milled veg tan. The texture was really cool and gave it a little older look. Dyed it with Feibing British Tan, slapped on a coat of neets oil, and sealed it with sno seal (wear gloves folks when using that, can cause an allergic reaction and put you outta work for a couple days). Overall pretty pleased with the result.IMG_20160209_212334_zpsfrrwuqm6.jpg

looks good, did you put a welt in it?

I ended up omitting the welt due to the knife not fitting very snug. I know that isa very important piece to protect the stitching. Any advice on what i could have done to fix that would be appreciated.

The welt should be included in the planning stages. It doesn't have to be very thick or wide and since its not a fold over sheath I would have made the welt the full length around the blade..if that makes sense

You can include the welt in the wet molding stage. It will allow for a tighter fit although I would sew up the sheath then wet it down and mold it around the handle. Without the welt you run the risk of the knife blade edge cutting the stitching. Usually at a very inopportune time such as when wearing it and sitting down or bending over.

You can include the welt in the wet molding stage. It will allow for a tighter fit although I would sew up the sheath then wet it down and mold it around the handle. Without the welt you run the risk of the knife blade edge cutting the stitching. Usually at a very inopportune time such as when wearing it and sitting down or bending over.

That's the way I did these guys. All the leather was tooled and dyed, then stitched together with the welt. I did all my edge work and after that It was wet and molded around the handle.

marcyknife1_zps366cba80.jpg

Edited by snubbyfan