Dwight

History On Split Rivets (Two Legged Variety)

Today, I took apart an OLD, . . . old, . . . ax sheath, . . . from the C. C. C. & S. . . . whoever they were, . . . to fix it up for a friend.

The thing was put together with brass rivets (for want of a better name) that had a head on one side, . . . then split in the middle, . . . and each had two legs and were pounded out flat on the other side, . . . holding the leather pieces together.

Anybody got any kind of an idea about how old this thing might be?

It was really dry, . . . so I gave it a dose of oil, . . . after I took it all apart. Going to put it back together for him next week, . . . just was hoping somebody could share a bit of info.

Thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

Can't help you with the age of the sheath, it could be over or about 40 years old or more. The split rivet on the other hand I can help you with a little. Several years ago (maybe 30) I ordered a package of mixed items from a company that no longer exists. Among the order was a bag of split rivets. I tried several companies to locate a setter for these rivets, but no luck. I haven't used them as the only way I could would be to attack them with a flat head screw driver followed up with a ballpeen hammer. If someone has a link for a setter for these I would appreciate it as I would like to use them.

I have tried Springfield Leather Company, Tandy, Weaver, Ohio and even some that are no longer around like Berman Leather Company that use to be out of Boston. These rivets are no longer found in any of these catalogs, but they still show up every once in awhile.

Hi Dwight and Joet,

Brettuns Village still stocks them, OTB stocks them on page 7 of the P216 catalog along with the T-1244 setter, Zack White also, and they are all over eBay. Bruce at OTB did a video on setting them.

Art

Hi Dwight and Joet,

Brettuns Village still stocks them, OTB stocks them on page 7 of the P216 catalog along with the T-1244 setter, Zack White also, and they are all over eBay. Bruce at OTB did a video on setting them.

Art

Thanks, Art, . . . appreciate the effort my friend, . . . but Bruce uses a washer with his split rivets, . . . and they seemed to be flat headed. The rivets I have are solid brass (or bronze??), . . . have a domed head, . . . and when they were set, . . . the tips of the legs were driven down into the leather so the legs, . . . if you looked at a side view, . . . would resemble a rounded "M".

That would prevent the tips from snagging on anything.

My opinion is they were put on with some kind of special setting tool, . . . as they were all way too uniform to have been done by hand.

It's really no big deal, . . . I was just wondering if anyone knew of using them, . . . as it would maybe give me a date for the ax and when it was used.

Got a suspicion it's an old timer.

Joet, . . . are those the type of rivets you have???

May God bless,

Dwight

Those are the ones I have. I'm not sure of the size of them, length wise, but I've been looking for a setter ever since. I don't have a business license so I can't get the setter from OTB. I might see if Springfield can order it for me, so thanks for the page number from the OTB catalog as well as the product number.

You can make one of those with a piece of drill rod, or just a large old drill and a grinder.

Art

Those are the ones I have. I'm not sure of the size of them, length wise, but I've been looking for a setter ever since. I don't have a business license so I can't get the setter from OTB. I might see if Springfield can order it for me, so thanks for the page number from the OTB catalog as well as the product number.

Did you try? I do not see a place where a business license is required on the form here, Only a 30 dollar minimum for wholesale accounts.

https://www.ohiotravelbag.com/NewCustomer.html

It's been awhile since I've tried to purchase from them, but at that time they required a business license number for me to do order. That was about five or six years ago and maybe they have changed their policy like Weaver did. Weaver at one time would not deal with the small hobby or crafter who was just looking for one item that was available only through their company. Times are changing. I bought some buckles from Zack White about eight years ago and found their shipping and handling to be almost the same price of what I was buying, thus I've not done business with them again though they do have some great things there.

Its funny actually if you read the fine print for a weaver wholesale account, the bold underline is their doing, not mine:

To establish a Weaver Leather Supply Account a company must have one of the following requirements to establish proof of business.

• A Federal Tax ID # (Required for AZ, CA, FL, IL, IN, IA, KY, MI, MN, MO, NY, OH, PA, SD, TN, TX, WA, WV, WI)
  • A Vendors License #
  • A business card
  • A copy of their letterhead
  • A phone book advertisement

Please note: first time orders must total $200.00 or more (excluding shipping charges).

So for everyone not in a state listed in item one, print off a business card on your computer and mail it in.......

Edited by TinkerTailor

Business Card? sounds too easy, but Weaver has opened up their site to the hobbyist and we can get a limited amount of items from them. Just haven't done so since they did this, I think about two years ago.

One point of interest for anyone who wants to know, Springfield Leather Co. will order anything we want from any catalog selling leather supplies. Even the Tandy sales flyer. Best to call them.

Business Card? sounds too easy, but Weaver has opened up their site to the hobbyist and we can get a limited amount of items from them. Just haven't done so since they did this, I think about two years ago.

One point of interest for anyone who wants to know, Springfield Leather Co. will order anything we want from any catalog selling leather supplies. Even the Tandy sales flyer. Best to call them.

That quote is cut and pasted from their terms and conditions directly. It may seem too easy but that is how they have it......

With the internet, more and more companies are opening their door to those of us who buy only in limited quantities. I love the internet as you can download some catalogs directly onto your hard drive, like OTB, and view them later at your leisure. Not as much fun as actually holding one in your hands and turning pages, but I think that is the way things are going to be in the future.