Sign in to follow this  
rcsaddles

Helena Tree

I had a guy come to me asking me if I can reproduce a saddle that is about 80 years old. He says it has a Helena tree and was built in Fort Benton, MT. I forget the maker. So, anyone ever heard of a Helena tree? I have not seen the saddle yet and will not have time to get together with the guy until well after Christmas but thought I would get the ball rolling.

I know I will get a few comments and appreciate everyone's input. I also know there are some tree makers that lurk around here also. I will be contacting all I can about making this tree in the future.

Thanks for any info and when I can, I will get a couple pictures and post them for all to see.

Joe

I have some reprints of old catalogues and thought maybe I might find it in one of those, but no luck. There is a company called Cabin Creek CDs that has old catalogues on CDs and maybe you could check with them and see if maybe it's in one of theirs. i looked in R.T. Frazier No 15, main & winchester 1905, Meanea 1923, Miles City 1925 and Visalia 1923. Good luck, it's fun researching those old saddles. Chris

In the Sawtooth Saddle Company's 2007 saddle catalog there is a picture of the fork of a "Montana Tree" . Since the pic is not available at their current online catalog I could scan the pic - but not before this wednesday. The swells are bulged out to the sides in a "round" fashion and the explanation of the tree is "This tree style was developed by the Miles City Saddlery Company which was owned by Coggshall at the time. It is said to be the first tree to be carved with swells instead of pieced together with individual pieces of wood to make the swells. Coggshall is credited with the idea but he was the business owner, and not a saddlemaker. The swells are low on this tree which make them very accessible to the rider." As it was explained to me the rider just has to lift his legs a little and his legs lock on to the swells.

If of interest let me know about the scan.

Tosch

Edited by Tosch

Tosch,

I will be in contact later about the pictures. I appreciate the offer. I will get the saddle after Christmas and have more info to post here.

Thansk again,

Joe

Joe,

have you found out what a Helena tree is?

Tosch

I have not found out anything about the Helena Tree yet. I talked to the guy last week and he did not mention anything about it. I will be finishing some work for him, hopefully tomorrow so I will have a reason to get together with him. I want to take my wife's camera and get a few pictures of this saddle and get them posted.

I appreciate your keepin gup on this and I would like the picture you offered to scan.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

One pic should show the whole catalog page with trees and saddles build on these trees and another pic with just the trees (forks) and an explanation regarding the Montana tree.

If the tree is what you might be looking for, I know that Sawtooth Saddle Company gets its trees from Timberline Saddle Tree Company in their hometown of Vernal, UT. So they should be able to give you information regarding specific measurements.

Hope this helps.

Tosch

montana_tree_saddles_v2.jpg

montana_tree_trees_only.jpg

post-5153-1232387706_thumb.jpg

post-5153-1232387734_thumb.jpg