I just finished making a dog collar. The customer wanted a design I have

with pink color in it. I had to use acrylic pink to get the right shade of pink.

My question is: what should I use to protect the colors from running ?

I'm sure it will be in the rain & snow sometime.

Here is a photo of the collar.

post-3080-0-82576100-1456775499_thumb.jp

You can always give it a shot of resolene but you should try a test piece first because I have never had a problem with acrylics running once they have dried. You may not have to add anything.

Alex

Alex beat me to it, . . . Resolene is the only thing I would consider using on something like that.

All my dog collars I've made used Resolene, . . . have not had one come back yet.

BUT, . . . like he also said, . . . I would do a test piece first to make sure the colors don't change or something.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Dwight - do you think it would be Ok to use resolene on a set of saddle bags after I have already 

Neats foot oiled- dyed - applied that snow proof weather proof stuff from tandys before assembly

and would I thin the resolene with water ?

trying to get the most weather rain resistance possible?

Carrieanna1172, . . . I have never used the snow proof weather proof stuff you mentioned, . . . cannot say good or bad about it.

Resolene, . . . though, . . . I've been using for a number of years, . . . and it's a great product.  I always thin it with water, . . . half Resolene / half water, . . . give it a couple of shakes, . . . you're good.

I put it on with a bristle brush, . . . it usually is a fairly thin coat, . . . but you can add coats to get the thickness you want.  

One word of caution, . . . make sure your saddle bags are all formed to the shape you want them, . . . a severe bend in the Resolene after applying and drying can result in a crack in the finish that you WILL NOT like.

I'd try a test area first, . . . make sure whatever is on there will not lift the finish off, . . . and go from there.

Post some pics and let us see what you are doing.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yes Good idea I better use a test piece first 

I would hate to ruin them. The flap part of the bag will be opened and closed a lot so I don't want them too stiff the guys from Tandy told me to use just that snow proof stuff so I coated it with that before assembly. it's like a thick paste like substance maybe some oil and wax ( kind of greasy)  I used a heat gun and it melts right in. gives it a great shine and feel I  Really like it but I'm not sure it will give me the water resistance I want? And I don't want the top flap part to get stiff and crack? 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Not very good image quality but this is what I made 

I saw a picture of bags like these online and made my own pattern 

I'm pretty happy with the the way they turned out now I need to seal them 

Edited by Carrieanna1172

I don't see any problem with using Resolene on those bags.  

Resolene only has problems (in my experience at least) in real sharp bends, . . . for example the bend at the buckle end of a man's belt.  I always preform them, then put on the Resolene, . . . have never had one crack since.

Again, . . . I'd probably take a 6 inch square of the same leather used for the bags, . . . and do everything to it you did to the bag, . . . then a 50/50 Resolene and water, . . . it should give you a really good protective finish.

AND, . . by the way, . . . they look good from what I could see.  I'd be proud of them if they were my creation.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks!