Just wondering what you guys use for lining your holsters

If it is for a "dark side" shooter, I'll use Horse butt, otherwise 5-6 veg tan. You generally can get one holster from a butt, sometimes you can't.

Art

Just wondering what you guys use for lining your holsters

Using a lining depends on what type of holster you are planning to build. Cowboy holsters are sometimes lined. Concealed carry holsters are seldom lined. I only build concealed carry holsters and don't line my holsters.

Randy

Also, some holsters are made with the flesh side out (called rough-out) and don't require lining, as the grain side is against the handgun.

I only line my holsters if I'm using a belt clip as I don't want to rub the gun against the clip. I agree concealed holsters don't need a lining after they are broken in the leather is smooth anyway.

Lining is usually only a concern with blued steel pistols, as a means of minimizing holster wear. Suede lining has been very popular for many years. Personally, I prefer glove leather, with a nice buttery soft and smooth surface. Either suede or glove leather in about a 2-oz weight works very well.

When lining a holster I cement the lining to the holster material (8-9 oz. shoulder), then stitch the edges where there will be no seams sewn in constructing the holster, then sew up the holster.

I offer both to my customers, and find that about 10-15% of my customers want a lined holster. Lining leather adds only a small amount to material costs (maybe $2 total per holster), but it does require another half-hour of work, so I do charge extra for this.

Hope this helps you.