Alford78

Nubuck Finish On Crocodile Or Alligator Questions

I am interested in having some belts, shoes, and other men's accessories made from these materials. I understand that the finish isn't the best for keeping the items clear of scratches and scuffs but I really just love the look of it so would limit the wear with these products unless I notice or learn a remedy for scratches.

I am here because I want to better understand the finishing/manufacturing process because I've searched for hours on the Internet without any luck.

1. Can the nubuck finish of alligator/crocodile be applied after the tannery in one's home on a hide or on a finished product?

2. Can the finish only be done at the tannery?

3. Any links, helpful knowledge on applying the finish, any tools or techniques I should search or be linked to, just basically I'm wanting all info I can get before deciding to order any of these expensive products. I have quite a few pair of exotic skinned shoes that have been cared for routinely and a few pair that could be experimented on if necessary too.

4. Why does the scale outlines stay the same color of the nubuck finished products unlike with matte and glossy alligator/crocodile. The later always seems like the skin surrounding the scales is either a few shades lighter than the scales or a much more lighter color than the scales. Any reasoning why nubuck finished products seem to have one color on both the scales and the surrounding skin of the scales?

Thanks and great looking forum.

Alex

Hi there,

1. In a nutshell nubuck is a leather with fine trimmed hairs. As I know crocodile doesn't have any hairs in its skin.

2. Nubuck finish can be achieved at home as well, all you need to have is a fine trimmer, hair-on leather and a steady hand.

But anyway, any nubuck product is a one-way-ticket for a customer, as this leather finish will look horrible in a couple of months. The best practice is to stay away from nubuck and suede for not getting your customers upset.

All the best,

Alex