sig191145

Thickness And Type Of Leather For A Butt Stock Cover

Hi,

I am newer to leather work and I am wanting to make a butt stock cover with cartridge holders that will attach to the back end of a sling and the sling will go up to a leather fore end. What I was wanting to know is that I was told that veg-tan leather was the best choice and that 6/7 thickness was good for the fore end and the butt stock cover with the cartridge holders, and that 10/11 was good for the sling. Are these good thicknesses for the project I have in mind? Also is the 6/7 a good thickness for engraving?

Thanks In Advance

Think of an oz of leather being 1/64 of an inch. 8oz = 8/64" = 1/8". I've never done a stock cover with cartridge loops, but I try not to tool or stamp on anything thinner than 6oz. I definitely wouldn't go any thinner than 10 oz on a sling as veg tan cowhide does have a tendency to stretch the thinner it is. I'm fairly new to this as well, mainly doing holsters, belts, and some fire department related strap goods, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

10/11 will be good for the sling. I'd go with 8/9 for the butt stock and fore end covers and 5/6 for the bullet loops. If you anted to avoid having to buy 3 different weights of leather I'd use 10/11 for everything except the bullet loops and I'd get them in a pre-cut strap. I think SLC sells them.

As I recall the butt stock cover pictured below is 10/11 and I know the bullet loops were 4/5 and it worked out very well.

Good luck,

Josh

post-19070-0-66204600-1458655100_thumb.j

I use 9-10oz for my butt cuffs, I also cut the strap for the cartridge loops from the same piece of leather and then skive it down until I think I've got the right thickness. The cartridge loops need to be pretty flexible so I skive until I think they're flexible enough. I've done slings from 9-10oz also with no issues although 10-11oz would probably be a bit better choice. For me 9-10oz seems to be about the best choice of leather for 98% of my projects so it's all I keep on hand, I figure I can always pick up a thinner leather if I need it for a specific project

Stu