Sign in to follow this  
TrooperChuck

Plugging Skirts on Old-Timer Saddle

I'm building a half-seat oldtimer style saddle with Sam Stagg rigging and square skirts. The question I have is about plugging the skirts. Were saddle skirts from the 1860's and 1870's blocked and plugged?

It seems to me that I read or heard somewhere that plugging the skirts didn't come along until later. But, as my wife constantly reminds me, I've been hearing strange things for years!

From all the old stuff I've looked at, I can't say that I have ever seen one that was plugged. Shoot I think alot of them were even made from lighter hides than we use now. I don't think many of them were blocked either....but some did have pockets sewn onto the skirts.

Don't know if that really helps but it is my .02 anyway.

Tim

TC, I guess I would ask "how authentic do you need to get". A museum piece or one that would be scrutinized for every little detail that would have ocurred in the mid 1800s would have a higher level of detail.

But if you are making a saddle intended for use, then I would incorporate modern technics with the vintage appearance. Remember many working saddles in those days didn't last much over a year of hard use partly because of the materials they had to use back then which is why were have few examples from those aras.

As Timbo said there were different grades of leather in the 1800s as well as in the 1900s which necessitated layering, plugging and blocking. If you are building a user saddle I don't think using any of the modern technics in the foundation of the saddle will deminish the vintage appearance.

One last thought, I have to remind myself that we are used to seeing 'vintage' items in our time that have 'charactor' from age. I think sometimes we forget that these vintage items did look new when they were first built. So We have to decide if we want our vintage recreations to look vintage or look as they did in the ara in which they were built. That depends on what we are going for or who the target customer is.

Just a thought. ;)

I look forward to seeing the finished product. GH

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

Chuck