Ledbeter36

Johnsons paste wax and mop n glo experiments.

Hello great site. I've made about half a dozen pancake style holsters and learning a lot. I've been experimenting with different finishes. I have noticed a lot of people use mop n glo cut 50/50 with water. Why do they cut it. Ive cut it and used it uncut. It's pretty thin to start with and other than cutting it cuts down gloss a little it seems to work better straight. Are they cutting it to spray it better? Also I see a lot of people use a coat of shoe polish or johnsons paste wax on top of the acrylic finish. So I tried johnsons paste wax. It seems to add a thin slick layer. Is the johnsons safe for all finishes? I only ask because I do a little wood working and I know johnsons has some petroleum products in it. I noticed when experimenting with some mod podge clear acrylic spray "which looks great but is not flexible enough cracks too easy" that when I used johnsons paste wax over it it removed the acrylic finish. It may have been because it wasn't fully cured it had only been a couple hours but it made me wonder if I shouldn't be using a neutral shoe polish instead. I haven't noticed it taking the acrylic mop n glo or resolene off but it sure took that acrylic spray off. Has anyone else had any problems with johnsons?  Sorry long post. I have many thoughts and questions in my head.

Occasionally I will use shoe polish, . . . but as an old Navy man, . . . Kiwi is the only shoe polish that comes in my front door.

I have tried mop & glo, . . . prefer Resolene, . . . mainly because it is the only product out there that has a sun shield in it.  I'm doing a few different things now, . . . and I just may step across the line to mop & glo, . . . will pass it on if I do.

All my finishes are either dip and drip or brushed on, . . . and I want to experiment some this summer with spray finishes.  Also want to look at two tone finishes you can get with spraying on the dye, . . . gonna do some "playing" so to speak.

May God bless,

Dwight

I only have experience with the leather sheen spray and my little experiment with the mod podge acrylic that doesn't flex enough. Leather sheen is ok. Seems like I have to use a lot of coats and its pricy. I'm trying resolene currently and may prefer it over mop n glo but mop n glo works well. I haven't tried dipping so I just might.