chriscraft

Firefighter Helmet Shield proposal ?

I've had this idea for the past 5 years and haven't done anything about it. I would like to start producing some custom hand tooled leather Firefighter shields. Simply because of the simple construction involved and it being a flat surface to stitch and hand tool instead of other complex construction. Each shield will use up one square foot of 8oz. veg. tan leather, glue, acrylic paint and thread. Plan is to use good materials and finish all edges. These will Create great one-of-a-kind retirement wall hanger leather shields for EMS, Police and Fire service.

Would like to have a middle man doing the advertising and display. Local shops like Police Dept/Fire Dept. uniform shops and trophy plaque shops. Similar idea as having a local Guitar Shop sell your custom leather guitar straps. What are some of you paying that are doing this type of consignment? If being charged a percentage. What percentage is fair?

I just want to pic up a few orders and not deal with having my own website or store front. I really don't need to be backed up with orders so I will start with high prices in the $150-$350 range depending on amount of labor involved in creating each custom design with hand tooling.

Like anything, it takes initiative to start.

I approached a local Fire Service shop and I produced a couple of shield samples in the past few weeks. This lead to a first inquiry for a possible order. I designed the shield on paper and it was approved. Working on these first few shields will give me an idea of how exactly this will work out. That way I can figure out if we can both make some cash in the end.

leather FF shield 001.JPG

leather FF shield 002.JPG

57041c3d85eb5_leatherFFshield001.JPG.65a

57041c3f17d09_leatherFFshield002.JPG.72e

Edited by chriscraft
pictures