Sign in to follow this  
Morbius

Snell & Atherton Blades Question

I picked up a couple of these tools of eBay and have decided to make some new blades, as I can't find a supplier.

I noticed that there is a lack of detailed info online about these things and thought I'd try to compile some.

Just a quick FYI for anyone working on these things, the screws used are all 5/32 slotted flat machine screws or 5/32 slotted fillister screws. Finding good quality replacements, if you have to, isn't too hard - especially online.

For making new blades, Johnny Kleso from Sawmill Creek suggests using 1/32 or 1/16 thick steel, with 1/16 being less likely to bend and is more economical.

I've measured up the blade thicknesses and other dimensions of a No. 3, 6 & 7 to start the research to figure out how to make replacement blades.I have a No. 8 on the way and will add that later.

No. 3 - Width 13.02mm Thickness 1.63mm Length 86.0mm
No. 4 - Width 13.02mm Thickness 1.63mm Length 78.4mm (From Shedbound)
No. 6 - Width 13.02mm Thickness 1.63mm Length 74.0mm (From Shedbound)
No. 6 - Width 13.02mm Thickness 1.63mm Length 86.0mm  
No. 7 - Width 13.02mm Thickness 1.63mm Length 84.0mm (This blade is in poor condition and could actually be longer) - Can anyone help out on this one?

If anyone here has one of these, please consider pulling it apart, taking a few measurements, and sharing the info.

Regards,

Craig J. Brain

Canberra