bigskyxj

Need help dying. Leather is cracking and way too dark

Hello all. I am new here and new to leather work.

I was making a bracelet and a wallet and when i died them using fieblings medium brown and dark brown leather dye they both became extremely dark. Almost black. I let them both dry overnight and they did not get any lighter and they also became very stiff. I tried applying neatsfoot oil today and it softened them up a little but the bracelet cracked when bent. Almost like beef jerky, lol. Here are a couple of before and after pics of the stuff.

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

Hello all. I am new here and new to leather work.

I was making a bracelet and a wallet and when i died them using fieblings medium brown and dark brown leather dye they both became extremely dark. Almost black. I let them both dry overnight and they did not get any lighter and they also became very stiff. I tried applying neatsfoot oil today and it softened them up a little but the bracelet cracked when bent. Almost like beef jerky, lol. Here are a couple of before and after pics of the stuff.

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

Well i am not sure if the pictures in my first post worked or not and the website keeps telling me i can only upload 1.46 mb. So i guess let me know if you all can see them thanks.

Only see one pic.  Sounds like your putting too much dye on your projects.  Try using a piece of cut up t-shirt and just lightly wipe your project, until you get the shade that you want.  Mainly, too much dye will cause the dark color and the drying out of the leather to the point of cracking when bent.  If you are using thin leather, you'll have to be careful with the amount of dye applied until you get use to the application.  

Threads merged as requested.  I agree with the amount of dye.  To much and you'll end up with crisps.  You can always add more but you can't take it away.  Dilute your dye and sneak up on the color you desire, one coat at a time.

Ok i could only post 1 actual picture in this thread for some reason. My first post has links to my photobucket account that has more pictures of the leather after I dyed it. 

Last not I tried some samples. First I coated them all in neatsfoot oil and buffed them. Then I dyed them. They didnt turn out rock jard yhis morning but they are still extremely dark.

I really don't know if I could put less dye on this leather without it looking extremely blotchy.

I will add that I am using 4-5oz vegetable tanned from tandy leather.

Are there some other dyes that I should consider trying o. This thinner leather? Like I said I am really nrw to all of this and frustrated at this point.

I have a motorcycle seat that I have been working on for like 4 months that I want to dye before I sew it so that the thread contrasts the leather but I can't be having a rock hard motorcycle seat.

Thanks for the help. Any more suggestions would be helpful.

First, dilute the dye. I begin at a 1:1 ratio and sometimes make it thinner than that. You can use denatured alcohol or 90% isopropyl. They will give slightly different color variations depending on which you use. Fiebings Dye Reducer is a mixture consisting of both ethanol (denatured) and isopropyl.

Next, apply thin coats of dye. As stated earlier, sneak up on the color you want.

After the dye dries completely, apply the conditioner you want: I use Neatsfoot Oil. Use light coats, and allow it time to soak in: 24 hours or more.

When you start bending the leather, work it back and forth, gradually increasing the angle of the bend.  Since you are using veg-tan, you can moisten the leather in order to aid in bending without cracking.

After you've gotten it softened and formed, you can apply your top coat to waterproof.