esantoro

T-clamp for suspension bar

I need to devise a method for clamping a pole or rod to extend above my stitching machine and from which I can suspend certain articles I'm working on so that I can free up both of my hands to guide the article through the machine. I'd need this assembly to be able to support 15 lbs with additional tugging and pulling.

I've attached a picture that shows the rails of my storage rack, to which I would like to attach a pole or rod. So far I'm thinking that I could use some kind of T-clamp. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ed

rails.jpg

post-853-1229969064_thumb.jpg

Edited by esantoro

Boy, I understand that dilemna.

I purchased the tabletop that comes with the 3000, and use it for support on most things.,At first, I didn't use it, but one project I needed it for has me leaving the top on for most things, but if I'm doing something bigger, I have resorted to just clamping a 2x4 board across the back of the table to rest things on. So far, those two things work for me.

Basically the table top will provide you with all you need to clamp to, add things to, etc, if you want.

If you are insistent on something else, you might purchase some unistrut at Home Depot/Lowes, and some accompanying toggle bolts/fittings. Fix the strut to the ceiling joists, either tight, or hanging down with some threaded rod. From there you could hang any kind of thing to hold whatever while you sew.

I haven't standardized my bag flap lengths and shapes, as I like to see how each bag behaves before shaping and stitching the flap. It is the last part I do on each bag.

I did get two wonderful folding adjustable tables that work nicely, but part of the way into stitching the flap, I find that it would be nice to be able adjust the height of the table to make manipulation of the bag easier. I have modified the procedure somewhat to make it easier, but I still like the idea of having some kind of suspension device onto which I can put three hooks or whatever that allow for three different suspension points, which would allow for easy manipulation of the bag in the middle of stitching.

Once I find a way to clamp a pole horizontally above the machine, I'll be 90 percent there and can experiment at will with cord, bungee cord, whatever, for the actual suspension.

Allright. Nuff said. I'm off to the corner hardware store.

Ed

Any Luck?

There are clamps specifically for this sort of thing, and I have seen pictures of these before; however the name

completely escapes me at the moment. I know this is not very helpful, butJust saying so that you know that your quest is not completely futile.

Have you considered a 2x4 attatched to the bottom of the rack?