mishkin

Dies for old rivet presses

Recently I've been coming across these old french rivet presses more and more often. Unfortunately, I have no idea if they can be functionally used in the workshop. Does anyone know if the modern dies fit those? Or would I need to find old ones to match the press?

Thanks!

s-l640.jpg

I would buy one just for it's appearance! I think that lots of conventional, modern dies have 3/8" (9.525mm) shanks so as long as the beautiful, old press has receptacles 10mm or larger, simple adapters could be made. If the holes in the press are smaller, the dies could be turned-down on a lathe.

Where are you seeing those great, old presses? 

Gary

Hi Mishkin

Modern European screw Presses comes in two systems, Astor and the regular (Italian). The regular takes M6x1.0 (metric 6 mm with 1.0 threads) top and 12 mm (un threaded) hole in the bottom. The German Astor system takes 7/16" (W14 threading bit fits) on top and 9 mm (without threads) bottom. Astor converting adapters for using standard European dies in Astor Presses are in sale several places. I just bought (and sold again) an old European press that had a smaller bottom hole, but took the regular M6 die on top. I suspect your press could be similar to that. Then you can just drill the bottom hole a bit larger to use the standard dies on it.

Tor