In the current phase of my experimentation, I'm attempting to see how dark I can get vegetable tanned leather with nothing but carefully selected natural, organic, plant-based oils and sunshine. So far, I've managed to get a piece far darker than I thought was possible without dyes or lots of time, and I'm only about halfway through the intended process. I was wondering if people could share photos of their darkest results achieved without any dyes. As soon as I get through the current process, I'll share photos of my results here as well.

Edited by spectre6000

Not exactly the response I was hoping for, but here's the results from my first experiments into darkening sans dyes and colorants aside from the above described oils as promised. Ignore the form factor, por favor.

The actual intent here was a final proof of concept for the oiling technique I've been working on. To that end, the results are beyond outstanding... Not only is the leather incredibly supple (moreso than I honestly think I've ever experienced), it feels... Not like the leather couch I'm sitting on (chrome tanned leather that's been conditioned and cared for, but could probably use a touch up), and not wet or oily, but dense... That is honestly the best word I can think of. It has a thermal density to it such that it initially feels a little colder than insulative like leather typically is, bet definitely not expressly wet or waxy or oily either. I've been wearing one of these belts all day (light khaki shorts), and there's no residue; I was a little concerned about this due to past experiences, but I state this more as a means of expressing that it's not really oily per se... It's a very different feel that's difficult to place or compare. Also, and I wasn't going for this either, it has a pronounced pull-up! I always liked this because, when left to its own devices, it give the leather a very unique character as its used over time. I was not shooting for it, but I got it in spades! But that's not the point of this thread...

I set out intending for a slightly darker color, but wasn't exactly sure where I'd end since it wasn't the primary focus. It's an overcast day, which I believe is generally considered ideal for photography, but smartphones fall on the other end of the spectrum. I shot these right in front of an open window for maximum light, and they appear a little darker in person. All the same, the result is a very red-brown mahogany color. I feel like it was probably a shade or two darker while I was still actively treating it, but it's mellowed out a bit as the oil has distributed. As I mentioned above, there's a fair amount of pull-up. I'm pretty sure if I were to buff it, it would darken considerably. Additionally, I could tweak my treatment regiment a bit and probably get it several shades darker based on what oils are used, when, and in what amounts. The next time I'm down near a Tandy, I'll pick up a fresh belly. What I have around here is really old and dry, and I think taints the results a bit.... Even if it doesn't it's something I can and should control for.

It took me a few months, but I think I've finally settled on an oil/wax combination/schedule/method that has got me where I want and more. The next phase in these explorations looks like it'll be adding control over color to the strategy. This experiment will be much easier to design than the last...

IMG_2063.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

The color is absolutely beautiful!  And no worrying about dye rub off.  Just need som sun and some patience.  Too bad it's late fall right now.  I head you can do small projects, like a wallet, on the dashboard of your car in the fall and winter if it's sunny, just check on it every two hours or so.

Thanks! My wife and I have been wearing our belts for 9 months or so now, and they still look amazing. Very very pleased. I goofed on my first belt attempt and made it too short. In my excitement to get the thing carved up, I failed to properly account for the foldover at the buckle end. It's just barely too short for me; last hole, and it doesn't look right. My wife can wear it, but she already has a thinner one that I made for her, so it's sitting in the clean shop draped over an office chair and has been.

With that in mind, I've made some interesting observations: The color of the worn belts has actually gotten a bit LIGHTER over time. I think it has to do with the wax finish; it rubs off with use, and the wax interacts in a significant way with light making it darker. There are some places that have rubbed slightly darker, and some interactions with metal hardware in pant rivets and such, but that's expected. 

Additionally, I can honestly say when I made these that I'm not sure the sun really did much. I didn't do a full-blown controlled experiment, but one of the three only got maybe one day's worth of summer sun (at ~5,040' altitude), and the color difference was not noticeable. It's entirely possible that the darkening from the sun was entirely too little to notice relative to the darkening from the oil blend. 

It's past time to re-oil them both. I intend to make an oil blend using the same ratios as before to simplify treatment. Additionally, I'm considering upping the wax to oil ratio a bit to make it a skosh harder. I think it's currently in the 10%-15% ratio neighborhood, and I want to bump it up about 5%. It will be more difficult to apply and likely require some heat, but should last longer with heavy use.

I do a lot more in the making-things realm than leatherwork, and generally with the same approach, philosophy, and attention to detail. I might have a contract soon where I do quite a bit of this finish, and I'm considering attempting to use a buffing wheel for the wax finish. The intent is to really work the wax into the leather with a little heat from the wheel friction and speed up production. The end result should be completely identical; never sacrifice quality at the altar of time... Thar be dragons and chintzy trash. Part of my design philosophy is maintainability and long term use (at least a generation, if not two or three), and part of the product offering would necessarily include a leather care kit. Might that be something that would be of interest here? It'll be a month or two before I can get to the point that anything could be available, but the opportunity is there...