Widget

Stronger Stitch for Bag Bottom

Good evening all,

So, I'm making a traditional sailor's ditty bag in a non-traditional way :-)  These are usually made of sail canvas, but I decided to try to make one out of some upholstery leather I had lying around.  My question is, when it comes to the bottom of the bag, which stitch would be stronger, a running stitch or a saddle stitch?  It's being sewn inside-out, so when inverted, neither stitch will be seen, it's really a matter of strength.  This is a rough diagram of what I'm doing (look at the pic in the lower right.)  Any thoughts? 

Fig4L.jpg

The answer is already available both here on the forum or by google or/and by looking at how these two stitches are actually done. There is also the alternative to use a sewing machine, as the stitch will be hidden. While a lock stitch might not be the most secure stitch, its good enough to be used to make millions of bags every day. The best way, though, is to actually making a couple of versions of your bag, and to try them out. That way you can make your own decisions based on your own experiences. Good luck.

Saddle stitch is by far the strongest, a running stitch is OK if there will be no wear, personally I wouldn't  use it on the base of a bag as it is one of the places it needs strength and if being made on a commercial level machine it but with 2 rows of stitching.

6 hours ago, Widget said:

which stitch would be stronger, a running stitch or a saddle stitch?

A saddle stitch is a double running stitch, so which is stronger, a single running stitch or a double running stitch? The answer is self-explanatory I think. :)

Sorry for the confusion. In my posting too late at night I misspoke...I meant to ask between a whip stitch (sailors call it an overhand stitch) or saddle stitch? My gut told me saddle, and you've all confirmed it. Thanks for your input!