ADKMiner

Combining Leather Thickness - Trucker Wallet

Hi all!  I have a quick question...

I would like to make a trucker wallet from some horsehide that I have.  2/3 ounce.  I see that typically folks use a 5 oz on the outside cover and a 2 or 3 on the inside pockets.

To keep consistency of color, etc, throughout the wallet... Could I bond two pieces of 2/3 oz leather with some Barge and just stitch the outside and use that as the thicker, outer piece?

Is this the correct thing to do?

Thanks!!

That would be fine and I do that sometimes when I want to give the colors the best chance to match. You can use the same dye almost the same way but it will look different on different rolls of leather.

The only thing I would do is at least partially pre curve the wallet outer when you glue in the inside piece otherwise you may get weird wrinkles when you go to fold the wallet. Dont glue the two pieces flat.

You need to go with your instincts, and do something if it seems like a good idea. Sometimes it will work out, sometimes it doesn't. Imagine if everyone here would answer you no, don't do it. Why would our opinions matter about your imagined project?? It's different when you actually have made something. First of all, I can promise you that you will instantly know whats right and wrong with the finished project, without having heard anyone else opinions. Secondly, It's easier for everyone to give more constructive criticism, however, in the end its only opinions and the most important opinion should be your own. Unless its something for a customer. Then the customers opinion is the only thing that matters. So don't be afraid, just go and do your wallet. The only way to learn a craft is by actually doing it.