Juliette

Newbie Question - 2 Layer Long Bag Strap

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for tips on how to most efficiently construct a long (~45"), skinny (5/8") two layer strap out of upholstery leather. So far I have been folding over a large piece of leather and gluing the flesh sides together, then cutting a straight edge, then cutting to width, then sewing around the whole thing.  The thing is, it has been hard to get a nice clean cut edge, and very hard to cut a consistent width down the length of the strap.  Anyone have a different method I could try? Also, I've been using water based leather adhesive - should I be using contact cement instead? 

Thank you!

Juliette

Upholstery leather?  Tough to get any kind of an edge on that stuff, I would think.  So, from a guy who admittedly doesn't use it... here's a 'out loud' thought:

• Cut a straight strip about twice as wide as you want to end up with.  
  • Make a center line mark on the "underside" - can be pen, marker, whatever since it will get covered.  
  • Put yer glue on there (you could actually use rubber cement if you prefer.. only has to hold until it's stitched, really. 
  • Tap it flat (not so much you stretch the stuff), flip it over, and stitch 1/8" (ish) each side of the center.

This would be all needed for a "straight" strap.  Cures that 'rough edge' issue.  Other things to "figger" depending on what you do with the ends (riveted?  sewn onto rings or dees? etc?)

Thank you for taking the time to reply - I'll have to give this a try! I am folding the ends of the strap over a swivel snap end and riveting into place.

Thanks again!

Juliette